What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel to firewall distance

flion

Well Known Member
I need to know the distance from the bottom of the panel to the firewall. I haven't gotten that far in the fuselage build but I need the measurements for wiring harness planning.

Patrick,

Just look for the two holes on the side skin for mounting the panel support bar. They should be obvious to find, since they are the only two rivet holes grouped together.

The other option is to measure the skin for the upper fuselage assembly. It's just a couple inches longer than where the panel is located and you can see that off set by the rivet line for the panel supports.

bob

21"

Twenty-one inches. I'm at the Rocket Shop every day but Sunday and am pretty good with a ruler :D

Thanks, Rick. You too, Bob - I would have had to use the second option as I am not that far into the fuselage and I didn't want to guess wrong between the instructions and the skin but I appreciate the reply.

No problem, I wish the RV-10 was still in the garage. But when it's 15 miles away, answering the simpliest questions become difficult.

Keep in mind that there is a sub panel about halfway back. You can cut holes in it but not everywhere.

John

Yeah, Aerotronics wanted measurements from the panel. Then, after Bob replied the light bulb went off: I could have taken the measurements from the side skin using the lines of holes as a reference. I also want to put the primary panel connections on the subpanel so I'm giving them the distance between the two and then figuring my wiring runs from the back of the subpanel. It would be easier to measure but harder to install the wiring if I was a little further along on the fuselage.

I also want to put the primary panel connections on the subpanel
That's what I like to do. My 10 has 7 bulkhead CPC's on the subpanel for the assorted front panel modules & console. You can unplug a panel module, unscrew it & walk away or stick your head in the panel to work. That way the bundles are forward of the subpanel & you save that space for all your EFIS modules, encoder, etc.

My 10 has 7 bulkhead CPC's on the subpanel for the assorted front panel modules & console. You can unplug a panel module, unscrew it & walk away or stick your head in the panel to work. That way the bundles are forward of the subpanel & you save that space for all your EFIS modules, encoder, etc.
Yesterday 11:18 AM

Do you have any photos of that installation?

Here are several not-so-good ones:

fxbfhj.jpg

a5m4o.jpg

2h5mzjk.jpg

24c7hxe.jpg

Back