What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel switches

Neil

I would like your thoughts on what switches are necessary/desirable for a panel with the following configuration. .( I will have switches for lighting - landing/interior/position/strobes..etc)

RV9A

IO320D1A (Aerosport) - electronic ign and slick magneto

Dual G3X,
GNS 430W
GMA 347 Audio panel
GTX 328
GX autopilot

Heated pitot

backup radio XCOM 760

Andair fuel pump

Also - - is there any reason not to have them lined up at the bottom of the panel, so they are easy to get at.. and not in a line of sight ??

Many thanks

Neil

I would recommend one switch "avionics" to turn on/off your avionic bus which will include all your essential avionics (Dual G3x, 430, 347, 328& back up radio), then every thing else will get its own dedicated on/off switch.

It`s hard to offer an opinion because everyone`s mission is different.

For example, when I fly in formation I like to have switches that are grouped by function but separated by physical breaks or spaces so that I can locate them entirely by touch with my right hand only (flying side-by-side from the left seat).

For example, my flap switch is between the throttle and mixture so it can be reached without removing my hand from the throttle.

I also put a PTT for the PAX right above the throttle so that I can do formation training. The PAX can reach the ptt simply by extending a finger with the hand on the throttle.

Probably the worst choice is a long row of uninterrupted switches for this particular mission.

If your mission is IFR cross-country, different layouts may be fine.

So the answer for you is to role play every mission you might fly and go from there.

V

I think a lot also comes down to what type of switches you have/want.

It makes sense to have switches grouped by function, but if you use different types of switches that you can readily identify by feel, I think it mostly comes down to where you personally feel comfortable with each item.

Neil,

I have fewer avionics but do have toggles along the bottom of my panel for my batt, alt, EI and mag, avionics master, lights and boost pump; and agree with the other responders' comments above. I used strategic spacing a bit too.

I put all the avionics items in the photo below on the avionics bus, except for the annunciator panel, and organized my switches in groups by function. If your G3X is also the engine monitor, if its allowed, you may want one on the switched batt bus, so its on during start (I don't know enough about the G3X to make specific recommendations on that. I have a VM 1000 out of the photo on the batt bus for engine info).

I also put the switches in somewhat of a checklist, or operational, flow pattern. Samples of my flows follow, FWIW (just one technique):

Before Start is: Batt, Alt on, L-R with left hand, then Mixture, Prop, Throttle, Boost Pump R-L with right hand.

Start is: Mag, EI on, then Start button, L-R with left hand, then Avionics Master on after start.

Before Takeoff is Lights, Boost Pump, Throttle, L-R.

Shutdown runs the switches R-L to turn off (avionics before pulling mixture).

I just played with it as I did the panel, and spent some time with my checklist to set it up that way (did the same thing for a corporate Citation and King Air I flew a while back, so it was an old habit). I've found these switch locations (low on the panel) to be very comfortable, though its a personal choice, and many options are good. This one works for me.

Location of your pitot heat switch could go low as well, though you might consider an indicator light for it up higher in your field of view.

I was a bit of a goober, and made the switch covers the same color as the annunciator lites for the same function. :rolleyes:

Panel%20Left%204%20DH.jpg

Have fun putting yours together!

Cheers,
Bob

I have my switches divided into 3 groups.

Master & Avionics Master---lower left panel.

Ignition & starter switches on sub panel next to throttle.

All other switches, boost pump, lights etc. across top of panel in order of their typical use.

Back