What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

panel question

rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning on installing the MGL Voyager in my 7A. Trying to decide what I need for IFR flight. I thought about going with the Garmin 430, but with so many features on the Voyager do I really need the 430. Would a com radio and a KNS-80 work for VOR/GPS instead of the 430? Thanks to the group.

RNAV not same as GPS

A KNS-80 will theoretically allow you to fly RNAV approaches (not GPS)--what's in a name? However once you begin to fly a lot of IFR you would be amazed at how often VORs are out of service--even worse now that the FAA is in the "GPS or bust" mode. When VORs are out of service, you have "black holes" in your RNAV solution. Also, using a KNS-80 for RNAV is not exactly user friendly. Most people I see use the KNS-80 only use the DME and Nav/Loc/GS function.

A GNS-430 is MORE than the sum of it's parts-(VHF Nav/Com/Loc/GS and TSO 146a WAAS GPS) and I don't think the Voyage does any of the 430s basic functions. Personally, I would not rely on any EFIS, with the exception of the G-900/1000, in place of a TSO 146a GPS. That doesn't mean I would not use it IFR, only that I would not rely on it as sole means navigation. I would "drive" the EFIS with an IFR approved navigator--but that's just me.

Back