What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Question.. Ideas?

BlakeB

Well Known Member
Guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a RV6. I have plans to upgrade the panel. It currently has GRT WS screens (which I will be upgrading to the HX screens) It also has a digiflight II autopilot. I plan to remove the digiflight and replace the servos with the GRT's so I will control my AP thru the GRT screens. My question is if I remove the digiflight I will have a hole in my panel. What do I do with the hole? Its the rectangular digiflight ap control. Looks to be about 2" wide & 1" tall.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Panel hole

If you want it as invisible as possible make a flush patch: fab a perfectly fitted plug (like a machinist would) for the hole out of the same thickness alum as the panel, then make a backer out of .032" alum 1/4" bigger on all sides than the plug. Install from the forward side and rivet all pieces together & to the panel with the small head cs rivets. Paint to match.

Easier quicker way is just make a plate 1/4" bigger than the hole, install on cockpit side with cs screws & nuts, paint to match & install usb charging ports or switches.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a RV6. I have plans to upgrade the panel. It currently has GRT WS screens (which I will be upgrading to the HX screens) It also has a digiflight II autopilot. I plan to remove the digiflight and replace the servos with the GRT's so I will control my AP thru the GRT screens. My question is if I remove the digiflight I will have a hole in my panel. What do I do with the hole? Its the rectangular digiflight ap control. Looks to be about 2" wide & 1" tall.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Get a new piece of aluminum from Van's and make a new panel (~$25). Once you get into it you'll think of something else to change anyway. All it takes is some time cutting holes and a little paint.

RV-8 (on fifth panel over 14 years)
RV-10 (on second panel after four years)

I like the USB thought....

Thanks!

If you want it as invisible as possible make a flush patch: fab a perfectly fitted plug (like a machinist would) for the hole out of the same thickness alum as the panel, then make a backer out of .032" alum 1/4" bigger on all sides than the plug. Install from the forward side and rivet all pieces together & to the panel with the small head cs rivets. Paint to match.

Easier quicker way is just make a plate 1/4" bigger than the hole, install on cockpit side with cs screws & nuts, paint to match & install usb charging ports or switches.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Back