What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Mount Radio w/ Header Tank?

splinter

Hello everyone, I figured it was time I need to start posting to this section of VAF. I bought an RV-3A in need of some serious TLC last Fall, and I am finally getting into it pretty heavily to 'bring it back to life' / airworthy condition. Details to follow as I should probably post on my progress, etc!

I was curious if anyone has successfully managed to get a panel mount 2 1/4" radio in an RV-3 with a header tank? Technology is getting smaller, so perhaps someone has?

Many of the models out there are close in size to my avail space, but with connections it seems the exceed the depth avail. Has anyone used a 90 deg D-sub connector to get around this? Found another way?

I am not that great at navigating VAF yet, but I didn't find another thread about this. If someone knows otherwise, I'm all ears. Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Splinter

XCom makes a remote head for their radio that allows the radio to be mounted somewhere out of the way so panel depth is not an issue. That said they have a new radio in the works that is entirely remote mounted for this reason, but the difference is the remotely mounted radio does not have any controls on it to keep costs down.

Thanks, Bob.

I should have mentioned that I have looked at remote head units, and they are an option, was just trying to do it all in one.

I also saw that XCom's remote head can't do basic things like turn the power on and that is not workable. Trig's unit would work but is higher end on the costs.

I have also considered a center stack tower, but from an ergonomics/human factors standpoint, I do not like having a radio which requires heads down, behind the stick.

Splinter

Last edited:
I have an MGL V6 installed in my RV-3 panel (old-school model with fuselage-mounted fuel tank).

I've also used nylon spacers to move the panel out a half-inch or so to make room for a TruTrak ADI. For the TruTrak I used a DB9 connector without a backshell - terminations are shielded with shrink-wrap.

Thanks, Joe!

On my 40min driveto work today, I thought about putting spacers in as really do not need much... maybe 3/4".

Do you have any pictures of your panel w/ spacers or from while doing your build?

Splinter

I like the MGL V6 for it's knobs but if you can do a 3-1/8" hole, the V10 is even shorter. (I have a V10 in my RV-8)

• fits standard 3 1/8" hole (3.5" between mounting holes diagonal)
  • mounting depth is 5.5cm (2.2") plus connectors

I don't have pictures, but the mod was straightforward.

My panel is attached to the structure with screws and platenuts. I cut the spacers from a nylon rod in the scrap bin (3/4 or 1-inch diameter), drilled holes through the centers of the spacers, put them in place and refastened the panel with longer screws. I used nylon because that is what I had; wooden spacers cut from a dowel would work. There was enough slack in all the instrument connections for the space I needed.

Everyone, thanks for the great input. I am going to re-assess my space available and spacer options. If things look good, I'll be on the market for a good used 2 1/4" radio and transponder!

Further thoughts/inputs are always welcome.

Splinter

You may also want to check out the Trig TY91 xcvr and TT22 xpdr.
Both are thin 2 1/4" panel mount units with remotes.
I mounted the TT22 in the RV1 with no problems.

Last edited:
Radio

Splinter
I'm doing the same thing in my RV 3. I am in the process of fitting a Trig 91 with the head in the panel and the radio under a panel between the rudder pedals.
I will be fitting a trig transponder at a later date as funds allow, although the wirng loom will be installed with the radio. Trig radios have a very good reputation on this side of the pond.
Pm me and I will keep you informed of my progress.

Rob
RV 3 bought flying G-BVDC
RV 8 slow build in the workshop.

Back