What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Light Dimmer

n38139

Well Known Member
I have a Van's panel light dimmer that basically doesn't do anything except always keep the lights "bright". I am wondering if it is hooked up wrong or some part of it is bad?. I have it wired like the instructions say but nothing happens. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks

Not the same Problem

I don't have bad joints or smoke.........just doesn't work correctly.

thanks

Did you Ohm check it?

Disconnect your wires from the switch and connect an ohm meter. As you move the dimmer control, resistance should change from very low to very high. If resistance remains very low (or zero), there is a short in the switch. If the resistance varies with dimmer movement, then your wiring has a connection (short) which bypasses the dimmer and provides full power to the lights all the time.

Good luck

Alan
Andersen AFB, Guam
N984AW Reserved
RV-9A building on hold

I got one from Vans....

that was wired wrong, and had the same trouble. Input should be the center lug on the pot IIRC.
I just rewired it, but can't remember what I did specifically.
I'd give Vans a call, I'll bet they know the answer.

Regards,
Chris

Ditto on what Chris said

Got two from Van's...neither did anything but "bright". Took a volt-ohm meter and found the third terminal is where one of the wires should have been. De-soldered it, moved it to the other lug (don't remember which one), and it worked fine. If you're using an ohm meter, you should see the resistance smoothly go up and down as you turn the knob. It's just a variable resistor.

Van's dimmer

I bought two from Van's and both worked perfectly out of the box. Ummm... luck of the draw I guess. Whom ever is making these for Van's seems to have a problem with consistent quality.

Back