What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Lettering

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I was planning to use transfers on top of a painted panel. My usual source tells me they can't do 0.125" letters without a solid white, black or clear backing. I don't want that, I just want the letters.

Does anybody have a source for transfers this small. I am using 0.125" because that is the size of the font for the ignition switch, ie, Off-L-R-Both-Start.

Also need

I was planning to use transfers on top of a painted panel. My usual source tells me they can't do 0.125" letters without a solid white, black or clear backing. I don't want that, I just want the letters.

Does anybody have a source for transfers this small. I am using 0.125" because that is the size of the font for the ignition switch, ie, Off-L-R-Both-Start.

What's the maximum size they can do without a backing? I'm also looking for dry transfer of that size. Seems the 2 I purchased from before didn't make it out of Covid.

Take a look at Waterslide Decal Paper and print any size needed on a Inkjet Printer. This does not meet your requirement of no clear backing but it is nearly invisible.

Google Decalfxpro or in YouTube. If you can print what you want on a laser jet printer, you can make it into a decal. It’s what I used and turned out pretty good.
It doesn’t leave any carrier plastic only the letters. It does have a learning curve but beats paying the high price of having it done professionally.

Attachments

• 63381950688__7D45A710-C47F-4649-96BF-A82370D05591.jpg
    63381950688__7D45A710-C47F-4649-96BF-A82370D05591.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 279
Try these guys. I believe they can do any size as you send them a .pdf of what you want and they print it on the transfer media.
Did my panel like this then clear coated it to lock it in. Turned out great!

https://imagetransfers.com/

Would you be so kind to post a pic of your panel?

I've been going back-forth on how to replace my temporary yellow tape with felt tip markings for over 5 years. Partially from other non-plane priorities, but partially because I haven't settled on which method to use (that even I can't mess up)

Thinking long term, it might be easier to replace a single decal with a word on it than scraping off individual letters and replacing them with new individual letters... Especially once the panel is installed in the plane. These are amateur-builts, and builders like to tinker. It's inevitable that you'll want to change something down the road that will mean new labelling.

Image Transfers

Try these guys. I believe they can do any size as you send them a .pdf of what you want and they print it on the transfer media.

Just FYI Image Transfers (And others I found) require the use of Adobe Illustrator which was too complicated for me to figure out. (It's also requires a separate license)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-22 093842.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 093842.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91

Their smallest transfer sheet is 8.5" x 11" for $295. Seems like a waste when all my lettering fits on a 3" x 5" sheet.

Just FYI Image Transfers (And others I found) require the use of Adobe Illustrator which was too complicated for me to figure out. (It's also requires a separate license)

I just got a free trial of AI for 7 days. Got all my lettering done this morning. It was easy, and the spacing is very accurate right on the computer screen. No printing, cutting, re-printing and cutting. Most of the dry rub outfits require .ai files. Just saying. I put in an order with rubontransfers and will let you know how it turns out. 5 day turnaround and 3 day shipping for a 3" x 11" sheet was $100.

Last edited:
Would you be so kind to post a pic of your panel?

I've been going back-forth on how to replace my temporary yellow tape with felt tip markings for over 5 years. Partially from other non-plane priorities, but partially because I haven't settled on which method to use (that even I can't mess up)

Here you go:

Panel Layout before Painting Left.jpg

Panel Layout before Paintinf Center.jpg

Panel Layout before Paintinf Right.jpg

Are used imagetransfers.com. I was very pleased with the outcome I highly recommend however, adding to your PDF or whatever format you send them a couple, extra letters and numbers because somewhere along the way, some R or T isn’t going to transfer properly and you’re going to have to scratch it off And you want to have some extras to add in there. It saved my bacon twice on my panel. The transfers worked great and look very professional. I just clearcoat it over them fit as much on one 8 x 12 page as you can, and I think the total cost was about 200 bucks shipping included. It’s a neat way to do it yourself and come up with a professional looking panel. Just make sure and do the thinking ahead of time and add any extra on the sheet if you have space. You never know when you might wanna add something.

Adobe Illustrator

I have Adobe Illustrator if you want I can type up a 8.5x11 page of whatever you want. Send the AI file to the printer.

Thanks

Larry, thanks although imagetransfers.com requires AI customrubontransfers.com does not and can take a PDF file (Saving in Word as a PDF works) and the cost is less than $ 50.00 for a 3.5 by 5 in sheet. (Including shipping) With our rather simple format needs (No advanced graphics) seems a PDF file should be more than adequate. The pricing is not a rush service, but this is for my stick grips so no hurry. I tried to laser engrave these but unlike some other stick grip manufactures the plastic used in the Infinity grips just melts and burns. Let's see what they come up with and again appreciate the offer.

Tosten

Larry, thanks although imagetransfers.com requires AI customrubontransfers.com does not and can take a PDF file (Saving in Word as a PDF works) and the cost is less than $ 50.00 for a 3.5 by 5 in sheet. (Including shipping) With our rather simple format needs (No advanced graphics) seems a PDF file should be more than adequate. The pricing is not a rush service, but this is for my stick grips so no hurry. I tried to laser engrave these but unlike some other stick grip manufactures the plastic used in the Infinity grips just melts and burns. Let's see what they come up with and again appreciate the offer.

Probably too late but Midwest can etch Tosten grips.
They order the grips made from a special plastic.
20220920_170535.jpg

Appreciate the input

Probably too late but Midwest can etch Tosten grips.
They order the grips made from a special plastic.
View attachment 44312

Yes, I talked to them awhile back if they could do my Infinities in my 10 (They can't). I just love my Infinities, especially the rotating feature. I had a rotating grip in my sailplane and got hooked. Some say it's not good for acro but my guess is they have not tried, works very well and having your grip perfectly comfortable a plus. Midwest does do a nice job with the Tosten grips. Again, thanks for the input.

I wanted to use customrubons, but it appears they have 'gone fishing'. Website is unclear, but it looks like they are 'on vacation'! I'll take my business elsewhere.

Looking forward to seeing what you receive in a week...

I wanted to use customrubons, but it appears they have 'gone fishing'. Website is unclear, but it looks like they are 'on vacation'! I'll take my business elsewhere.

Thanks............................ !!

Here's my panel. Rub on transfers with several coats of clear over top. Dry transfers cost me about $50. I'm happy with the finished product except for fact that I made the font for the registration too small....

Attachments

• 20220212_170523.jpg
    20220212_170523.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 170
Dry Transfer Lettering

Just completed an RV 4 panel wit 1/8” lettering from this company

https://drytransferletters.com/product/one-color/

The customer support from Troy was outstanding responding quickly to several email questions and spent time on the phone with me so I could better understand their product and its application process. Turnaround was next day after they received my email with the artwork and very well packaged to prevent shipping damage.

Highly recommend, working on learning how to attach photos of the results.

Pricing ?

Here's my panel. Rub on transfers with several coats of clear over top. Dry transfers cost me about $50. I'm happy with the finished product except for fact that I made the font for the registration too small....

Looking at their pricing page it appears one color transfer starts at $ 195.00 plus shipping. Previous post references imagetransfers is this where you obtained yours?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-23 074124.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 074124.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 98
'Final' Layout

I got the panel pieces painted yesterday and I started the process of getting the lettering laid out to fit. Here's what I have so far. Hopefully, the Illustrator file I created will provide the spacing and font sizes that my printer produces so the dry rub transfers fit. We'll see. I used these folks: https://drytransferletters.com/#1 based on the recommendation above. $120 for a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet

Panel Painted Layout Letters.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for dry rub decals. It’s a bit spendy at $170 for a single sheet, but if you’re creative you can fit 2 or 3 panels on a single sheet. I recommend duplicates since the application process can be finicky.

Attachments

• C7F0AE3D-FAE6-4451-A377-1AFEE37B2636.jpg
    C7F0AE3D-FAE6-4451-A377-1AFEE37B2636.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I checked my emails. I used 'Custom Rub On Transfers' last January and I paid $81.36 for each 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. I did one white and one black. They do multicolour and custom colours but it costs more.

I figured out it seemed the site was actually a New York distribution outlet for a vendor who is based in Montreal, Quebec. The same site is searchable under under other aliases. Wish I would have known they were sourced out of Canada as that's where I'm from and I would have avoided the brokerage and hassle of shipping to me across the border (twice).

That notwithstanding they were great to deal with and I had my order within a week. If I could find them and I needed more I'd use them again..

On vacation

I checked my emails. I used 'Custom Rub On Transfers' last January and I paid $81.36 for each 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. I did one white and one black. They do multicolour and custom colours but it costs more.

I figured out it seemed the site was actually a New York distribution outlet for a vendor who is based in Montreal, Quebec. The same site is searchable under under other aliases. Wish I would have known they were sourced out of Canada as that's where I'm from and I would have avoided the brokerage and hassle of shipping to me across the border (twice).

That notwithstanding they were great to deal with and I had my order within a week. If I could find them and I needed more I'd use them again..

I'm afraid both CustomRubOnTransfers and RubOnTransfers both out of New York with some tie to Canada have gone on permanent vacation and their phone lines are being tended by a company selling Health Monitors (I've fallen and can't get up devices) I think I've found a rub on transfer company that takes a PDF file and will let the group know if I successfully can place an order and receive.

Back