What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Instrument Symmetry

rv8or

Well Known Member
Panel design and layout time.
I'm trying to make the best of both worlds with normal 3 1/8" instruments and modern EFIS and am trying to resolve the layout.
What I'm planning is a T instrument stack with a Garmin GDU470 central with a standard 3 1/8" ASI(Top Left), Altimeter (Top right) and VSI (Bottom right) with a Garmin G5 in place of the turn and bank(Bottom Left).

Now to the questions.

With one line of information on the top of the GDU470 what is the measurement from the top of the bezel to the horizontal centre of the AH on the GDU 470.

Similarly with one line of information on the top of the GDU470 what is the measurement to the horizontal centre of the HSI on the GDU470

Thanks in advance
Rob

Will you be installing a radio,audio panel or transponder in the panel. If so the GDU will not be centered without making a new panel. I spent a lot of time with this

Instruments

Chipper

GNX375 GPS transponder will fit under the GDU470 this is 2” high and will fit with connectors over the rearmost gear tower structural member and due to the 8 deg instrument panel slope the connectors will fit under the forward gear tower structural member

Radio will be the excellent Trig TY91 which is a remote head in the panel, this has a built in intercom. (I have one of these in my RV 3 and it is the best radio I have ever used for clarity.)

I’m using EI engine instruments and these will be stacked on the right hand side.

It is the height symmetry that I require.

Regards
Rob

I can see what you are trying to do Rob.
If nobody comes up with the measurements then another way is to download the G3X mock ups PDF from Garmin and print out the GDU full size and take your measurements off that. A step further would be to make a full scale cardboard mock up of the panel with printouts of all the instruments to verify the layout before cutting metal.

I tried that set up and the wires coming out of the back of the 375 are way longer then you think. It will not fit its 11.5" long and the wires will interfere with the gear strut. feel free to pm and we can chat

Here is my panel I made at the house.

Attachments

• 99B8FF56-4555-404B-9DD7-CF5651DC5F78.jpg
    99B8FF56-4555-404B-9DD7-CF5651DC5F78.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 108
Back