What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Indicator Lights

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I'm probably not the first to use these, but just wanted to make the group aware just in case.

I bought these panel indicator lights from MPJA.com. They are 12X16mm LED lights. They are already wired with a resistor so they work with 12v.

The lens is made of two parts: a colored outer lens, and a white diffuser. Both are just press-fit so they can be removed. I removed the lenses and used a label maker with clear-tape to put labels on the diffuser. The tape is a little wider than the light, so there is no edge. I put the diffuser back in the lens. The labels are now protected from damage. I think they look pretty good.

Total invested for all four: about $4. (I already had the label maker). Mounting holes are a hair over 15/32 and 3/4" spacing (parts are metric, but that is close enough). If I had a fancier label maker, I could have made the text larger, but mine is pretty basic with only one font and character spacing.

I plan to add a test button, but haven't done so yet. I don't have them wired in the panel yet, but in bench testing the light level looked appropriate (bright enough, but not too bright).

FP07072013A0004B.jpg

I have the exact same lights, Colin. I think it was Paul Dye who first put me on to them way back when. They look & work good. (I'm not flying yet)

I think so, Don. Again, I think it was Paul that built-in a bright & dim switch in the circuitry. I think he used a 4PDT switch and resistors to accomplish it. Some annunciators will need a negative voltage while others need positive.

Buy spares!

I had 2-3 failures on mine before I got 6 good ones in there, all failed during phase 1, none since (200hrs). Since Mpj has a min order I'd suggest you go ahead and get your spares now since they are like a buck apiece.
Tim
2013 dues paid

I had 2-3 failures on mine before I got 6 good ones in there, all failed during phase 1, none since (200hrs). Since Mpj has a min order I'd suggest you go ahead and get your spares now since they are like a buck apiece.
Tim
2013 dues paid

I'm sure there is some get-what-you-pay-for in those lights. I have extras just in case. You could always tear them down and replace the LED and resistor. More than likely the resistor is the failure point.

As for dimming; resistors aren't ideal for dimming LEDs, but will get the job done. As noted already, you will want a separate resistor for each indicator. That way the dim level dosn't change if more than one light is on at a time.

I've seen these same lights in the panel of another member here, Lycosaurus (Alfio). He's running them on a Perihelion PWM dimmer. Yes, I'm almost certainly going to copy his idea... :)

As a few mentioned, I have been using these for a number of years now, and they really work well - look good, are easy to put int he system, cheap, etc. I HAVE had a couple of them fail however, so when you use them, make sure that you plan for replacement. The first panel I did with them, I put them through individual holes and soldered everything togetehr, figuring they were LED's, and would outlast the airplane. It made it a pain to replace one later. On the latest panel, I used D-sub pins and sockets to connect each LED to the system, so chnaging one will be a piece of cake. You pay so lilttle for the indicators, a couple of pairs of D-Subs shoudl be trivial.

I used D-sub pins and sockets to connect each LED to the system,

I also have used just the male/female D-sub pins with shrink tube for similar things, makes it easy and is light weight and not bulky like a complete D-sub connector is.

Back