What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel ideas..

Tram

Well Known Member
Ok guys, we are getting very close to getting our new panel cut. We've been slowly picking up gear here and there and it looks like it's just a matter of getting all our gear sorted to where we want it and asking the cutter to please cut our panel. :)

We're going with a Dynon D180, no backup's, as the plane is a VFR used ship.

Just thought I'd see if any of you guys were running a D180 and not much else and whether or not you had pictures of your panel.

We're about 98% sure where we want all the goodies, but I figured I'd see if I could find some more pictures one last time. ;)

Thanks guys

Photos

Its nice to see all the different builds and share those photos, but man there is a lot of critical comments in the captions, I guess the judge and jury were there too...

In image 30 of 60, you comment that having PVC running through the rudder pedals is a bad idea..................... and if that was a permanent installation you'd be right.

However, what you were looking at is a rudder gust lock, installed on the ground only, and in fact, a very GOOD idea.

Image 37 of 60: I've never heard a radial engine that didn't sound SWEET!! :cool:

Thanks for the photos, but I was surprised by the large number of negative comments. :confused: Don't think I'll show you my plane!:p

Photos

Your supposed to be part of a group here supporting each other and each others projects. If you see something that is a concern safety wise, please share, but to comment on bad designs, layouts, or "holy ugly" paint, is just down right rude, especially to fellow RV builders. Please share photos of your project so the ones who's photos you commented on, can comment back. If you have nothing good to say, please keep it to yourself. Several of the photos you commented on were aircraft of friends of mine, and although there choice of colors, fonts, panel layouts or whatever may not be to your liking doesn't give you the right to post what you did. When your project is done, please share? I am sure a lot of people would like to see it now.

Please explain!!!

Hi Tram,

Don't know if this will be any help at all, but I too am trying to finalize design on an RV-6 panel. I went to the Van's Homecoming last weekend in Independence and snapped a bunch of pictures. There are some Dynon panels in the mix, and some truly interesting layouts. :eek:

Anyway, here's the link: http://theoglick.imgur.com/vans_homecoming_at_independence_2011#u3BmO

Ted

Ted,

I am the owner of the plane in pictures 33 and 34. I would like you to explain why you think the Font for my tail number is "bad." It is 12" high for International travel, is spaced precisely, and painted with 3 colors. The design accents the curves and lines of paint scheme. The faded nature of the lettering is unique and also accents the scheme.

Regarding the panel, I would REALLY like you to explain why you believe this is the "busiest" panel you've ever seen. The panel was laid out using the conventions of CRM, if you know that that means, probably don't. Switchology is everything "on" left to right, and "off" right to left. The Dynon 10A, one of the largest available at that time, is directly in front. The TruTrak turn and bank as the back up is directly below that. The CDI and auto pilot control head flow to the right. Next to the radio stack is the Advanced Flight Systems 2500 engine monitor in the vertical orientation. The Garmin radio stack is conventional flow. The rheostats are top to bottom in the order of importance.

You probably didn't notice, but there are only 6 circuit breakers that are located under the 496. They are mounted L to R in order of importance. The rest of the breakers are poly breakers in the EXP Bus switch system.

The panel overlay is carbon fiber that was vacuum bagged then fit to a slightly enlarged panel (lowered).

I would really like to know the answers to your comments. I guess the several awards this plane has won were a mistake. Darn, I thought it deserved them:(

I am working on another 7 now and have my panel all designed. The panel is modular carbon fiber, leather wrapped with inserts for each component. It includes two AFS 5550's, Garmin 650, Garmin 330S, PSE 8000BT audio panel, SL40 and Gemini 880 auto pilot. Full IFR panel.

I will submit the plans to you to make sure it meets your approval and is not too "busy."

Sorry to be so blunt but this plane and panel received nothing but compliments at Oshkosh and the Homecoming. Sorry if you don't like it, but you are in the minority.

If you ever smell boiling tar and see a few feathers floating in the air at the next fly-in you attend you might want to RUN FAST dude! :D

Apologies

To all who I offended with my picture captions, I apologize.

They were originally there as tongue-in-cheek commentary for the one person with whom I originally shared the pictures with, and I honestly just forgot about them when I posted the link.

I was just trying to share some panel pictures. I'm truly sorry to have ruffled so many feathers with my commentary. You all are correct, I was out of line.

Ted

No dog in the hunt, but It's all good. If I had a dime for every time I've said something I wish I could take back I'd be a millionaire.

Back