What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel height- RV-7 tip up ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
Could someone please measure the max height of their stock panel blank from Vans (RV-7 tip up).

The *.DXF panel template download from Vans has a height of approx. 11 1/2 inches. However my actual panel blank measures about 10 5/8 inches. Kinda makes a difference when laying out your panel. Is the *.DXF template wrong or did I somehow get shortchanged? Help appreciated.

Bright Moments,
Bruce W

Van's panel is flat pattern

I had the same expeirence. I think Van's drawing is of the flat panel before the lflange is bent at the bottom.

Alan Jackson
Tinkering with panel layouts

You can get a different height if you want

For my panel on my 9A (same as the 7), I needed one inch more height so I call Vans to get the meterial to make a new one. Scott Rising said that they could make me a new one to the height I wanted. I order the new blank with one more inch to it.
This let me stack my tow EFIS (BMA) units. I placed all the switches and breaker in the panel, so didn't have a seperate subpanel for that.

You can see a picture here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5255

Kent

If you're laying out your panel, also note that there is a reinforcement angle along the top of the panel. Don't forget to leave room for that.

N316RV is right on

The file does not take the bend into account.

If you are laying out your panel in a CAD program, measure the start of the bend radius and use that as one of your reference lines.

I had my panel cut using that DXF file as a starting point and the results were perfect. Maybe it was beginners luck.

That's what I was afraid of; the *.DXF file doesnt match the finished panel blank. I may do what Kent did and order a custom blank 1" longer. Didnt know Vans did that.

This forum is great, thanks for the info.

Bruce W.

BruceW said:
I may do what Kent did and order a custom blank 1" longer. Didnt know Vans did that.

If you have access to a sheet metal brake, you can probably save yourself a fair amount of $$. When the stock panel blank wasn't tall enough for my needs (center stack of AF-2500 + avionics), I made my own panel and I'm sure glad I did. Just took a sheet of .063" thick 2024-T3 from Spruce and put a bend in it on one edge.

Then I took the stock panel blank and just traced the sucker right onto the new sheet, with the stock panel located about 2" higher than the new bend. Cut along the trace line, match drill new "pre-punch" holes around the perimeter, done deal.

20030208_drilled_holes.jpg

20030208_traced_outline.jpg

Too easy!

Last edited:
I am playing around with ePanel and have found a similar problem. The RV7 panel on their site is 41.55" wide, the standard Vans panel is 39.375" wide.....

So, I am having to fudge the dimensions to get the balance correct and space items either side of the attach points.

What happens when you try and convert this to a CAD program to get it laser cut ?

OK, I am officially impressed !

Emailled Bill, he replied, said he had some new panels to upload and would do it next week - he did them tonight.

The 7/9 panels now match the ones from Vans including mount holes and edge holes.

Spot on !

Back