What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Height for side-By-side RV-6/-7/-9's

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Just curious about folks that have used both standard panel and
added on a lower extension across the bottom of the panel, making a
deeper panel.

I would be interested on how much additional depth you added, any leg
clearance issues, any do over wishes, any changes.

At min I'll likely add a lower extension for the throttle, prop and mixture,
center of panel. I'm on the fence about adding a strip across the entire
bottom. I don't necessarily need the room, but I would use the extension
it for switches and circuit breakers.

Comments, suggestions, tips, tricks?

Thanks George

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Comments, suggestions, tips, tricks?

Thanks George

I'm 6'2" and find the 2" ish strip across the bottom a big win - however, I'd recommend recessing it 3/4" ish inch or so (like Fabian's affordable panels). If in the same plane as the main panel I think that would be 'just enough' to make hitting things getting in/out more hassle.

IMG_1133-thumb.jpg
more photos

Also - for the switch lighting - I used a cheap $15 EL tape+driver kit from a computer case-mod vendor. Works great, a nice blue or red light all the way across, and just down at the labels. I was concerned that the light wouldn't dim well or it would make EMI noise on the intercom, but no problems.

For a crummy photo:

IMG_1279-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
I would be interested on how much additional depth you added, any leg
clearance issues, any do over wishes, any changes.
I added about 2" (1 15/16" iirc) height to the bottom of my panel by making a new panel. Absolutely no regrets. I'm 6'0" and I've had some tall mofos in my plane, no sweat. The really, really tall guys run out of leg room (toes up against the firewall) before their knees hit the extended panel. YMMV

Added 2" to the bottom, with a slight angle out at the bottom, like a Commander 112. Top and bottom of extention have a 5/8" flange & uses nutplates to attach to the main panel.

Center section is straight with the panel angle for throttle/mixture/prop controls. Small metal pieces blend the bottom sections together & look great. But then I own a sheet metal shop... :)

I cut and rounded the corner off the Van's plastic air vents for knee room. They are attached directly with no metal frame. No center console for added knee room . 6'1", RV6A & fit fine.

Back