What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel dxf file for an RV-14 - CAD help needed

JDBoston

Well Known Member
Ok this is a call for help, clearly I’m just not savvy enough despite spending a lot of effort to learn. I’m using Fusion360 and trying to use sendcutsend for the panel cutting.

Would someone be willing to share with me either their panel dxf file from fusion360 preferably, or perhaps even take a look at mine to see what I’m doing wrong.

I designed my panel from the vans original template outline but the issue I think is that Vans file itself has some non closed geometry so when I go to send it to be cut I get a warning that the geometry is not defined and it isn’t going to cut what I think. Would love to see a file from someone who used both sendcutsend and fusion to produce that file.

Long shot but thought I would throw it out to the crowd. I literally have a designed panel and want to produce it.
Thanks

I just wanted to thank @rc dude publicly for his help in fixing the dxf file I had created. In what seemed like just a small amount of time he was able to unblock me from almost a week of staring at it.

Obviously not a lot of people run into this problem I guess, but some of this is because the Vans file from their site has some issues to begin with. I noticed what he ended up fixing I just lacked the skills to do it. I think there are duplicate lines that are in the main file so the outline of the panel will most likely give an error when you use an external service to cut. Clearly lots of people have figured it out but I have never seen it mentioned.

Either way, I now have a usable file and the panel is being cut! Thank you!!

I had a problem as well, but did not investigate further. Is it possible to share your files or maybe contact Van’s to get them to post the fixed file on their Support page?

I had a problem as well, but did not investigate further. Is it possible to share your files or maybe contact Van’s to get them to post the fixed file on their Support page?
I doubt they would fix it because they will tell me that many people have used it with success and that it’s something to do with fusion360 (they use solidworks). I will be glad to send you my current file, of course it’s my current panel but it may be a start for you. Sending a dm

Since you're using Fusion 360, you could also download the 3d IGS file from Van's and export (3) dxf's of the panel parts from that. Below is an image of the IGS file.

Or learn how to join curves on Van's supplied DXF...

Oh, just thought of something: are you trying to upload to SCS a single DXF which in this case consists of three pieces? Yeah, that won't work. Need individual files for each piece.

1720149509432.jpeg

Since you're using Fusion 360, you could also download the 3d IGS file from Van's and export (3) dxf's of the panel parts from that. Below is an image of the IGS file.

Oh, just thought of something: are you trying to upload to SCS a single DXF which in this case consists of three pieces? Yeah, that won't work. Need individual files for each piece.

View attachment 65998

So my assumption perhaps incorrect was that the 2D panel file (DXF) that they supply was the one to use so that is exactly what I did. I actually am having a one piece panel cut so I removed the lines which form the segments (left center right) of the panel.

You are correct I now know that the dxf that they provide has some issues (and that should be stated I think for people). I don't know all the issues but the curves indeed have to be joined I think (I wish they would just do this for you). They also have some duplicate geometry it seems in the 2D file.
Sure now that I think of it and you mention it, I could have projected out the 2d image from this IGS 3d file. But I didn't even think of it at the time because they specifically call out that they are supplying a 2D file for panel layout. The 3D file I assumed (and I actually used it as well) was for ensuring that the depth would fit for the center stack.

Lesson learned but I think anyone learning CAD would make this same mistake. Luckily another generous person here was able to fix it up quickly (the drawing that I used from Vans)

Back