What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel advise please

Karee Brinlee

Hey group,
I bought an Advanced Flight Systems 5600 EFIS. I have a GRT engine monitor I bought with it with fuel flow.
Thinking that we will just monitor engine with the GRT and not couple it to the EFIS.

Anyway, I buy the 5600 then realize I need a 3000 dollar control module from Advanced. My plan is to pay cash as I go but the extra dollars for the ACM caught me off guard.
We like it. Makes it easier to install the ADAHARS and other components.

My significant other is really good with electronics. Should I forgo the ACM to save bucks or is it a must have.
Just looking for advice to move forward.
We plane on certifying my RV-7 in the spring 2024 so even if I have a basic panel it is ok.. I will be VFR only.
KB

The ACM is definitely not needed to install and use the AFS EFIS. Ease of installation/wiring, and integration of electronic circuit breakers, flap & lighting controls, etc are the benefit.

I've installed panels with and without an ACM. There is a huge difference in functionality, time, complexity and costs between the two approaches.

To answer your question I would recommend you first list all the components you plan to install in your panel both now and in the future. Download the AFS5600 installation manual and review all the integration points between the AFS5600 and Com, Intercom, AP, Transponder, ADSB, electrical buss, ....... Then download the ACM manual and review how that is used to define and manage circuits and integrate components.

Ask your significant other which approach would work for him.

Personally, if I have the budget I would go with the ACM and never go back to using circuit breakers, fuses and custom harnesses. YMMV.

Good luck with your project and have fun with it!

……
Thinking that we will just monitor engine with the GRT and not couple it to the display.
…..
KB

I have and like the GRT engine monitor box. But, it is 1970’s technology, with a small monochrome dot matrix display. Using it to routinely scan all the data is awkward at best. I’d guess that >95% of the users couple it to a larger color display. I’d suggest looking for an obsolete GRT display (HS or older), display only (no air data), maybe $500 or less used, and dedicate it to the engine instruments (including fuel flow). OTOH, if you are content with letting the box just monitor the data, and light up the master caution light if something needs attention, it works very well in that mode.

If you haven’t called about the ACM, give them a call. They would only sell it to me if they built the harnesses as well. So $3k(ACM) + ~$3k(wiring). If someone can point to a place to get ACM alone, please share.

I have a AFS 5400 with Dyne EMS and ADAHRS, all on a Skyview network. No ACM needed. The Advanced Panel concept is nice but unlikely necessary on yours. Call AFS before trying to finalize your build.

Last edited:
ACM

The ACM is pretty awesome but it's not for everyone, nor is it totally plug and play. For a full Dynon or Advanced design, most components plug right in. However, there are harnesses and connectors the builder has to finish no matter what design.
Front harness, Rear harness, Sticks, Flaps, Trim, ADAHRS & GPS all have to be pinned and D-subs built. No biggie, but important.
In my case my panel is all Dynon so they provided all the cables. That part plugs right in.
Other circuits not supported by the ACM are P-Mags, B& C Regulator Buss Sense and misc stuff. There are circuits for Cabin Lights or in my case a Dimmer circuit and AUX Power (USB).
It does have a port for a GPS NAV/COM and routes the ARINC data for Garmin and maybe others.
FlyLED sells a board to install on the ACM to run their lighting. Landing, Nav and Strobe get connected to the Rear and Taxi to the Front harness. Wig/Wag is supported.
I'm knee deep in the install so feel free to ask.

Back