What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting weldments

The general consensus is don't paint weldments. The white is easy to spot cracks. If you paint them, don't post it or folks will flame you. Don't ask how I found that out.
That said, a few of mine are not white. Canopy weldments were ordered bare. After fitting, I had them powder coated the color I wanted.

I painted all of my weldments because most of them were delivered bare (older kit) and those that were powder coated had failed due to improper preparation and needed to be stripped back to bare metal.
I thoroughly cleaned and then primed the weldments with either epoxy or steel primer and then top coated with 2-pack polyurethane and am very happy with the results.
If you want to change the color of your rudder pedals and the coating is sound then you can roughen the powder coat with red scotch brite and paint with a suitable topcoat. Keep the paint off the bearing surfaces!

I scuffed with scotch bright pad and painted all my weldments with a premium quality primer and Acrylic Urethane. No issues or wear after 17 years and over 1000 flight hours. Still look like the day they were painted.

Back