What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting the interior

RGaines

Well Known Member
What is a good time to paint the interior? The Fuse manual mentions an optional time in chapter 25-05. What are the other times? What are the considerations in choosing the time? What are the material considerations?

At this point the tunnel, and seat pan are open and I think the panels that cover them come later.

Any suggestions from experienced builders?

Rich

When to paint interior

I think they planned you to paint the interior without the covers in place, so the screws will not get painted also. Seems to be that way in the red plane. Just mask off the tunnels. Could be painted most anytime before the rear 'glass' is installed it would seem. I am waiting for the tail kit, so have been thinking about it. I also think taking the rudder pedals back out will make painting much easier.

John Bender
Iowa

interior paint ...

I planning to get the RV-12 professionally painted ... I don't want to do ANY painting, if possible. Is that possible or will it be impossible to have the pros paint the interior after my first few flights? :confused: :confused:

Painting the Interior

Having read a whole bunch about this, I painted all the interior parts before I riveted them together. Came out pretty nice. Much easier to spray a flat panel than get into all the nooks and crannies of an assembed fuselage. The rivets are not painted, but it is kinda pretty that way

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon

On the other models the best time to paint is before everything starts going in the final time. Seems like the -12 would probably be the same.

I painted the interior after it was essentially together, but before I installed the upper tray that holds the instrument panel, before the brakes went in and before the rollover bar was attached. This will leave a few unpainted rivets in the cockpit, but they don't look bad at all after it went together.

Also, if you look at the pictures of the factory RV-12, you'll note that the rollover bar is painted the same color as the exterior of the airplane. Since this structure is under the rear plexi, it neccessitates it being painted before the final installation of the plexi.

Mitch Lock
Van's East Coast Rep

Back