What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting the battery box

If you cut the lightening holes you need to paint it to keep it from rusting. I used black BBQ paint. It's high temp and very durable.

Thanks Jorge, I have some high temp exhaust paint so I guess that should do the same job as the BBQ paint.

Martin

Paint

I used 3 coats of Rustoleum after I made the lightening holes. I read somewhere this made sense, but don't know why. I don't think the temeratures are high enough to require high temp paint, but if your box is near a heat muff or exhaust stack I may be wrong. I guess if you are really interested in loooooong term protection from heat and battery juices, a high temp epoxy would be best. I your wallet full of green stuff? If so, go that way IMHO Best CJ

You may be in trouble if...

If the battery box is hot enough to need high temp paint the you will be have problems with your battery.

Kent

No Paint

My battery box is not painted and I started building the airplane in 1996. I have approximately 400 flight hours on it and the battery has been in and out many times. I can't imagine paint holding up well to all that service action. I only use sealed batteries so acid spills are not a problem. The battery box still looks like new.

Bob Axsom

Another idea

I have an old aluminum bus I converted to an rv some years ago, the battery box is under the belly and exposed to everything that splashes up off the road plus the acid vapors etc from the two 8d batteries. I coated it with automotive undercoat about 5 years ago and it still looks like new. The battery box and tray is a mixed construction of steel and aluminum.

Back