What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting systems

jcensner

Is anyone familiar with the water-based Stewart System for aircraft finish? I've read their advertisement in regards to many of the spray equipment kits offered and the system looks relatively simple and foolproof, however nothing is said about the finish itself. Any info on this system would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RV-8 90% finished (half way there)

Piper PA-11 for current recreation.

Jack Censner

Primer

I used their primer during the build of my RV7A and was very happy with the ease of application and the finished surface. I would recommend their stuff.

C A Mansfield
N33WE flying unpainted

Good system, easy to use

We have a large EAA chapter and many of us were interested in their system but were concerned about the finish and how easy the process really was. Since Stewart is local to us, I challenged them to come down to my hangar for a hand-ons paint seminar from prep to finish coat. Jason Gerard accepted the challenge and spent a full day with us teaching/demonstrating the process. We had 20+ people attend and everyone got to paint who wanted to.

What I experienced was actually what they claim. it is very easy to use as long as you follow their easy steps. If you go into this as an experienced painter with an attitude of "I've done this for years, I'll spray like I always do", you're likely to fail.

We mixed the paint by weight for the perfect mix each time. You use distilled water to thin. They recommend the FinishLine spray gun, because it's less expensive, but works well. Jason also brought his Sata 3000 so we could experience a higher end gun.

Gun setup is simple. We set the fan to full, and opened it up to 3/4 turn for the first coat. Nice and steady passes. Do NOT vary your rhythm when applying the coats. Once you start spraying, you have 10 min before the next coat needs to be applied. You will further open up the flow 1/8 of a turn for each coat. You get 15 min for spraying the 3rd coat before the 4th and last coat gets applied.

You really have to see it to believe it. The first coat looks so dry and fogged. The 2nd coat has more coverage but you will be tempted to spray slower. Don't!!! After the 3rd coat it really starts to flow out and after the 4th it looks good, with just a little orange peel. However, after a couple of hours it completely flowed out, no orange peel, with a nice glossy look.

Now imagine 20+ people all taking turns painting these pieces who have never touched a spray gun in their life. The pieces came out better than the $10-$14,000 paint jobs others had paid for only to get orange peel, runs, dry spots, etc. Disclaimer: These are not the same paint shops who advertise or discussed on this forum!

The most common mistakes we experienced:
1) Varying the speed of your spray passes which can cause thin or heavy buildup.
2) Trying to keep a wet line. If done properly, the "wet" look will follow behind you.
3) Do NOT let the paint dry between coat or you WILL get dry spots or mass orange peel.

I definitely give this system a thumbs up!

Last edited:
Spray gun

Kevin - I didn't see anything named "Flightline" in their selection of associated spray guns. There is one called "Finishline and ask if this is the one you refered to? If not, what is the source of the Flightline model you refer to? I'm asking because I'd like to go with the same equipment other builders have had success with.

Do you happen to have a phone # for their customer service? All I can find is an E-mail address and a Fax #

Your response along with others I've received were very informative.

Much obliged - Jack C.

Stewart contact

Jack,

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/

Stewart Systems
5500 Sullivan Street
Cashmere-Dryden Airport 8S2
Cashmere WA 98815

1-888-356-7659 (1-888-EKO-POLY)

509-782-3626
Fax: 509-782-3025

There are loads of posts on this site if you use the search function, but Kevin has given a very nice description of their process. Using their products myself. The gun is the Finishline 3 by DeVilbiss with the 1.3mm tip.

Kevin - I didn't see anything named "Flightline" in their selection of associated spray guns. There is one called "Finishline and ask if this is the one you refered to? If not, what is the source of the Flightline model you refer to? I'm asking because I'd like to go with the same equipment other builders have had success with.

Do you happen to have a phone # for their customer service? All I can find is an E-mail address and a Fax #

Your response along with others I've received were very informative.

Much obliged - Jack C.

Your right, got the name wrong. Bad on my part since I actually have one.:D

Back