What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting ribs before wrapping

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Looking for your thoughts:
I'm having AircraftWraps wrap my RV-7A. Aside from all the great things they do when they wrap the airplane, they don't paint anything. That means:
- The ribs on the ends of the ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudder counterweight arms, and horizontal and vertical stabilizers will be exposed.
- Same goes for the rear spars on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers as well as the wings' recesses for the ailerons and flaps.

My question: So what? Is it that big a deal? I have primed these areas, and lean toward not painting them in the interest of weight savings. The rivets in there are naked, and I like the look.

Is there any overwhelming reason to paint these areas before the wrap? Or is it just cosmetic?

It's been 7 or 8 months since I talked to them but, at least at that time, they said they had worked with a local painter for color matched paint they used on (I think) the prop spinner and wheel fairings. Has that changed?

They'll have to answer that question, Tom. I haven't gotten that far in the process.

So can anybody provide comment on my question please?

Looking for your thoughts:

- The ribs on the ends of the ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudder counterweight arms, and horizontal and vertical stabilizers will be exposed.
- Same goes for the rear spars on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers as well as the wings' recesses for the ailerons and flaps.

My question: So what? Is it that big a deal? I have primed these areas, and lean toward not painting them in the interest of weight savings. The rivets in there are naked, and I like the look.

Is there any overwhelming reason to paint these areas before the wrap? Or is it just cosmetic?

My airplane is just primed in the locations you describe above.
My paint scheme is military which allows some roughness or unfinished I believe.
Then some of the skins are polished aluminum, so I guess corrosion protection is not a concern. I hangar my plane, like most.
My goal with wrapping was to get'r done, make her pretty, and keep flying. I did mine myself over a three week period and flew almost anytime I wanted in the process.
It's been almost three flying seasons now with the wrap. I still get compliments that think it's paint.
Bottom line; I know that this will not be the last finish my airplane will have, for a few reasons...so my advice, don"t sweat the details at this point.

Bruce,
I know how nice Hulu Girl looks: This is really great feedback. Thanks!

It's been 7 or 8 months since I talked to them but, at least at that time, they said they had worked with a local painter for color matched paint they used on (I think) the prop spinner and wheel fairings. Has that changed?

Tom,

This is still our process. We can wrap 100%, however we like to color match paint the spinner and wheel pants. Labor required being the driver for that course.

These are the only items painted. The internals and exposed ends should be prepared to the owner/builders desire. Some prime and some other paint. (I personally went with flat grey primer.)

Sid,

The design is looking great and I've been keeping up to date on your 7s progress.

just had my RV7 wrapped by aircraft wraps

I primed all my surfaces that showed during assembly. Had my wrap done by Scott, and it looks amazing. If I knew how to post pictures I would post some. You will not be sorry with the work. the color match on the spinner and wheel pants is excellent. they even wrapped the ends of the counter weights on the rudder and elevator.
yesterday when I took off at KCRG the tower complimented me on the paint job, said it looked great. I told them it was a wrap, which started a conversation with several other planes in the pattern. My plane looks like a different plane now.

Back