What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting question

kentb

Well Known Member
A friend and I are going to paint my plane. He has painted his before (solid white) and I help him.
I am thinking about a white base with some other colors for accent.

Where can I find out more information on painting the second color? Suggested reading?

If I go for vinyl where is a good place to order from?

Kent
Almost there.

How to Paint Your Aircraft

Check out the new EAA book by Ron Alexander called "How to Paint Your Aircraft".

You can find it here.

Matthew, I ordered the book

I checked out your web site. Are you going to paint soon?
There are lots of interesting paint samples on the link to flying RV9's.

Kent

Matthew,
You need to get painted before Southwest Regional @ Hondo.
You're letting Mike get too far ahead.
Mel

Yea.. Mike's freshly painted plane really makes me want to get it painted or just do it myself! It won't be don't before Texas RV Flyin... of course I have some panel goodies I'd like to buy also.... decisions, decisions...

Vinyl all the way!

Kent,

I know we have talked about this already, but I'll say it again so everyone have the info.
I painted my plane white, and then applied Vinyl graphics on the Fuselage, wings (top and bottom), HS/Rudder, VS/Elevator (top and bottom), and wheel pants. The curved surfaces of the wheel pants and the rudder/VS were the toughest part, but the rest was a piece of cake! From up close (appx 2-3 feet) you can see the small wrinkles on the wheel pants due to the complex curving surface of the wheel pants and a flat graphic.
I have gotten many, many compliments on the graphics, and I really like them as well.
I purchased my graphics at Aerographics, and I was very impressed with the service. I sent them an E-mail of my concept graphics job, and in a few days, I received a quote for the graphics (my set of graphics cost about $680). After I gave the go ahead, a proof was created for me to review. After that, they sent me paper copies (B&W) of the graphics to perform a fitcheck. I made some tewaks to the graphics, and a new proof was e-mailed to me right away. After that, I gave the final thumbs up, and only at that point did they take my payment information. I received graphics about a week later with installation instructions, razor blade (just in case the application dosen't go well, hehehe!!!), and a squegee thingy to get the air bubbles out.
Great service, and I would definately recommend them to anyone who is looking for graphics.

379RV%20-%20Back%20left.JPG

For more pictures of the painted plane (and the graphics), you can head over to my new web site address:
http://www.N379RV.com

Ron
RV-9A

Back