What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting question on flaps and ailerons

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Project is a QB RV10.
I want to start painting some of the smaller parts and have considered painting the flaps and ailerons as well at this time, although they are as received and have not yet been test fitted to the wing. Looking at the plans it should be OK. Anything that I have missed? I mean riveting or so that still needs to be done.

Factors to consider.

If you mean you are painting the outside (not just primer) in their final colors, here's an idea to help you with color match. Once you open a gallon of paint, the air that remains in the can will change the composition and potentially the color ever so slightly over time. If you know you're going to paint the plane in sections, when the paint is mixed, split the total gallons into smaller jugs. Therefore, the unopened cans will retain their original color longer.

I'd fit the parts to make sure all works well FIRST, then paint as the outside environment permits. Remember that different temps and humidity will affect paint too.

Unless you are experienced, the effort you put into primer will assist your skills when working with color. All things considered, it's probably wiser to wait till more sections are ready so color match is more likely and booth prep effort is minimized too.

Perhaps I'm a perfectionist, but these are factors you should know about in your decision making.

You should be OK. The ailerons need to hinge brackets installed after paint and the flaps should be ready to go as is. There is some drilling required on the ailerons, you may want to fit the brackets before paint just to save the aggravation of dinging the paint when doing the initial install.

Back