What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting Plexiglass

Dave12

Well Known Member
I want to paint the portion of the canopy that is directly under the f/g lay-up. Looking for advice on prepping the plexi to accept primer and paint? Thanks in advance.

What I did - -

RV-12CanopySeals100_1169.jpg

I sanded it with 400 wet/dry paper. Used a flat white primer. It has stayed near perfect. As the picture shows, I painted the entire inside of the canopy frame the same white primer color. Happy with it.

John Bender

The top of my -6 canopy has been painted for nearly 18 years. When I painted it I tried numerous primers. None of them worked to my satisfaction.
I finally ended up scuffing the plexiglas and painting directly with "JetGlo" urethane (no primer). It has held up beautifully.

When I had the meeting with the Imron experts at the auto paint shop, I asked about this issue. They said just use "Bulldog paint adhesion promoter" and then any rattle-can paint. I did some google searches on it and read some positive results.

Another option...

For those who have not done the FG layups yet there is another option. You can stain the fiberglass resin black and then you would not have to paint the inside of the plexiglass. I was looking for ways to simply my work, especially painting prep, masking and painting. It will look kinda like the black surrounds on your late model car windows, like this:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Finish-Kit/9229733_jnRJi#705300454_LjCav-A-LB][/URL]
The black layups will get thin near the edge when you are sanding it down to the electrical tape, but the final exterior paint will block light shining through and it will look black.

I found the black resin dye in a 3 oz. tube at Ace hardware for a few bucks.
West Systems only had gray and white dye. I hope my canopy doesn't come apart in a couple of years ;).
Tony

Is the painted surface...

The top of my -6 canopy has been painted for nearly 18 years. When I painted it I tried numerous primers. None of them worked to my satisfaction.
I finally ended up scuffing the plexiglas and painting directly with "JetGlo" urethane (no primer). It has held up beautifully.

...on the inside or outside?

What are the approximate dimensions?

Did you paint the baggage compartment glass also?

I have seen photos of your plane - looks great and I am interested in doing the same thing.

LarryT

be aware of colours

If you paint it black, light no longer passes thru, thus the plexi must ABSORB all the light energy.... this will heat it and cause local expansion....vs very little on the clear area adjacent, introducing stress. No problem if your holes and edges are smoothed perfectly, but how do you know?
.......just a cautionary note.

if you paint the inside, the colour will be different due to the tint of the plexi, and the reflected light off the surface.

If you can match your paint colour, you could apply vinyl graphic sheeting to the area instead. (Not likely as permanent...a pro & con!)

I'd steer away from chemical bonding agents, when mechanical abrasion is possible/preferable.
Google the tech data for painting plexiglass, and you'll see some good recommendations.

Back