What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting over AKZO

Dean

I plan to prime my interior with AKZO 2 part. Will all paints adhere to this primer. I plan to use the Oregon Aero interior and will need to paint the areas that are showing. The Rustoleum Hammered finish looks good. Will this adhere to the AKZO. Do I need to paint immediately or can I wait a couple of weeks. My quickbuild fuselage showed signs of corrosion so I thought it best to prime the entire interior and then paint the areas that show. This should give a good durable corrosion resistant finish.

Acetone - ScotchBrite

Clean and scuff the cured AKZO epoxy with red ScotchBrite and acetone.

Several early award winning RVs were done this way and have stood the test of time...

gil in Tucson

How long can you let the AKZO set before doing the scotchbrite treatment on it. Can you wait for 6 months?????

Thanks

The AKZO primer is awesome. I used it everywhere except on the areas I knew would be painted -- there I just primed the mating sufaces and backsides of everything, then when I painted the interior I used a primer recommended for that particular paint. You're going to want to prime it after it's assembled anyway. For example...you really want to rivet heads to get some primer on them or it's likely that the paint will chip off of them very easily.

There were a couple of places that I primed w/ AKZO (the baggage bulkhead -- F-706 IIRC). There I just scuffed it as mentioned above and everything is holding up OK for now. I'm not flying yet but it's been more than a year since I painted the interior and it's holding up fine.

Good Luck,
Jamie

Yes...

Bruce said:
How long can you let the AKZO set before doing the scotchbrite treatment on it. Can you wait for 6 months?????

Thanks

Yes... and you will find that the acetone may slightly soften the primer, helping adhesion....

gil in Tucson

Back