What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

painting oil soaked fiberglass

ColoCardinal

Well Known Member
After the installation of the spinner the brand new propeller leaked oil all over the inside of it. the oil has pretty much soaked all of the way thru the glass in spots. Is the spinner ruined or is there a safe method of getting rid of the oil so that the spinner can be painted? :(
Thanks guys!

I've never been able to get oil out of glass, fabric or wood. Even soaking in MEK or Tri-chlor. Sorry.

No idea other than maybe lots of hot soapy water then acetone. Maybe encapsulate it in a bag of kitty litter.

I am in the process of brushing on a coat of epoxy inside of spinner and cowling hoping for some protection.

I've never been able to get oil out of glass, fabric or wood. Even soaking in MEK or Tri-chlor. Sorry.

I was afraid of that. With so many guys running unpainted planes for a year or more I wonder how many pieces are ruined and if any are salvaged.

Oil

Just wash with warm soapy water then flush with Acetone. Use a 2 part epoxy primer and you will be fine? Millions of old oily planes have been repainted without any trouble over the years of aviation...

K2R

During my model airplane days, I used a product called K2R. http://www.k2rbrands.com/products/original.htm

I sprayed it on the oil soaked balsa or plywood and let it do its thing for 1/2 to 1 hour. It sprays on as a liquid soaks into the wood (fiberglass) then drys to a powder soaking up the oil. If all that is left is white powder, then I ASSUMED the oil had been lifted. If, however, there was still wet oil, then another dose is needed.

The stuff is in the spot lifter section of food stores and hardware stores. It worked great on wood but never tried it on fiberglass. May be worth a try.

Back