What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting - Kandy just in time for Christmas

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
There seems to be a lot of posts about RVs getting their paint jobs. My RV-7A, Builder Number 70362, is finally getting covered in House of Kolor's finest. I am using the House of Kolor system from epoxy primer all the way up through the clear coat. Colors are Kandy Apple Red, Black Pearl, Gold Perl and White. The Kandy portion starts out with the self etching epoxy primer, followed by a metallic sealer, followed by the gold base coat, followed by the Kandy Apple Red, followed by the clear coat. OK, so I have put on a lot of paint. I didn't prime the interior so I will probably come in weighing close to the average.

Drum roll please :D

fuselage.jpg

RE:paint

Steve
WOW................................
Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... painting if it could only look as good as yours:)

Garage/Paint Booth in a Box

This is my paint booth. It is a Garage-in-a-Box from Menards. Fits nicely in my hangar and is easy to heat.
f4.jpg

f5.jpg

This is my Hangar Mates RV-7. This serves as the ultimate motivation to, as my wife puts it, "GET MY PLANE DONE"

f3.jpg

Well you just did it Steve, I'm not parking next to you.....matter of fact when we go fly together, I'm landing at the next nearest airport and borrowing the courtesy car:rolleyes: If you can't tell gang, in addition to being about to hammer a few rivets, Steve is a master on glass work!!

Looks fantastic Steve, the garage in a box looks great in your and Larry's lil ol hangar.

Parking next to you

Well you just did it Steve, I'm not parking next to you.....matter of fact when we go fly together, I'm landing at the next nearest airport and borrowing the courtesy car:rolleyes: If you can't tell gang, in addition to being about to hammer a few rivets, Steve is a master on glass work!!

Looks fantastic Steve, the garage in a box looks great in your and Larry's lil ol hangar.

All I can say is wow - the man is a magician with resin. That thing is gorgeous.

Dana - Save me a spot so I can park next to you.

Steve, the black windshield trim strip is a really nice touch. Is it paint, tape, what?

Steve, the black windshield trim strip is a really nice touch. Is it paint, tape, what?

1/4" striping tape from the local auto paint store. I have used it on a couple of planes to clean up the transition edge where the glass and paint end. I left a thickness of two layers of cheap (i.e. thicker than usual) black electrical tape on the glass edge. The striping tape is an easy way to clean up an edge that is very hard to do anything with.

The black stripe around the edge of the carbon fiber is the only vinyl or tape on the plane. Everything else is painted. I used carbon fiber to "glass" in the wind screen so it would be a little harder for passengers to break off chunks while getting in and out of the plane.

Last edited:
Nice Tip

1/4" striping tape from the local auto paint store. I have used it on a couple of planes to clean up the transition edge where the glass and paint end. I left a thickness of two layers of cheap (i.e. thicker than usual) black electrical tape on the glass edge. The striping tape is an easy way to clean up an edge that is very hard to do anything with.

The black stripe around the edge of the carbon fiber is the only vinyl or tape on the plane. Everything else is painted. I used carbon fiber to "glass" in the wind screen so it would be a little harder for passengers to break off chunks while getting in and out of the plane.

I like it. Gonna get me some!!!

Back