What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting before assembly

sahrens

Well Known Member
I am considering painting as the aircraft major components are completed. Now before everyone jumps in I have searched and read many threads here on the subject. So far everything I have read is a continued discussion of why or why you shouldn't paint before assembly. That is not my area of questions.

For those that did decide to paint before hand I have a couple of questions. How did you store your wings while they were off the aircraft? Mine (not painted yet) are stored in the standard wheeled wing cart, suspended in carpet straps. I have read somewhere (I can not find the thread) that storing the wings that way after painting will leave marks in the paint from the wieght. If so, what did you do? I remember seeing a thread where someone built a different style of cart, but again I can not find that specific thread.

How about your other parts? Did you hang them? Wrap them and store them under the bed? Any problems with storage you would care to share, other than the "be careful and don't scratch it."

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott,

I painted before assembly and yes my carpet did leave a slight pattern on the wing. I used a base coat clear coat system and just buffed the area after assembly and the pattern was easily removed.

I also was able to fill and buff the few scratches that I got during assembly. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Ken

I painted my wings a year and something before final assembly. I made a wooden rack that held the wings leading edge up. The main spar stub served as one resting point. I ran a large diameter PVC pipe through the lightening holes in the outboard ribs, and used the pipe as the other resting point. I also used the rear spar attach fitting for anti-rotation purposes.

Worked well. I even transported the wings to the airport on this cradle.

Looks like a meat locker for airplane parts

After we painted the 9, we stored each part in a room that no one used. If the paint was properly mixed, and you allow the paint to cure for 36 hours, you should have no problem with the paint sticking to a couch or carpet.

As we're completing the 6A, parts are hanging from the ceiling in a seldom used garage. The place looks like a meat locker of airplane parts. The only problem attached to the meat locker is when u open the garage door the wind can blow the parts against the walls.

Back