What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painted Canopy?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I have recently seen 2x RV9(A)'s that have some type of painted on sun shade. Its like a permanent Koger sun shade. Has anyone seen or heard of these? I am wondering if this was a thing back in the day and was wondering how folks did it....(paint them on or just use vinyl).

There was a burgundy 9 on barnstormers which perked my curiosity.

D

Not that uncommon. I'm aware of a -6 that was painted that way. Looked interesting and different, but I wouldn't give up that visibility personally.

My best guess is that someone scratched the canopy during their build, and wanted to cover it up...

Thanks Rob, It just boggles my mind why you would use paint these days. So many other options that are removable.

Thanks Rob, It just boggles my mind why you would use paint these days. So many other options that are removable.

I was associated with a -9a that was built in Florida that had a black painted sunshade. As noted, the loss of visibility really bugged me. Some 15% tint film would have been SO much better.

I have recently seen 2x RV9(A)'s that have some type of painted on sun shade. Its like a permanent Koger sun shade. Has anyone seen or heard of these? I am wondering if this was a thing back in the day and was wondering how folks did it....(paint them on or just use vinyl).

D

I was associated with a -9a that was built in Florida that had a black painted sunshade. As noted, the loss of visibility really bugged me. Some 15% tint film would have been SO much better.

D

D

D

Vinly, works great

20231228_170116a.jpg

I'm cooking down here in Florida in my -12. I have the Koger sun shade and some static cling stuck on here and there. I need to find a tinting solution to make this bearable for me...

Last edited:
Try a Koger. When I had my 6a, it worked perfectly.

D
This is the way. Vinyl might be another, if you really need the headroom, but the Koger allows you to open and close it in flight. Much more flexible that way.

Looks like almost an excact copy of the way I painted my -6 canopy in 1993. Difference being that I rounded off the rear corners looking very similar to a Glassair.
Still looked as good the day I sold it 26 years later. Never noticed any lack of visibility. To determine visibility, I sat in the airplane while my Wife taped off points I pointed to. The only time I even noticed it was looking for the ground on the back side of a loop. And I don't particularly enjoy loops anyway. NEVER regretted doing it.

Back