What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint scheme and resale

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Identical RVs. One with modern scheme, one with military scheme.
Is resale affected?

Possibly. That is why I did my military scheme enhancements to a base airplane in vinyl. But honestly, the same could be done for the modern, allows personalization after the sale.

If I were building and getting ready for paint, I would select a neutral base color and paint the entire airplane.
Any additional accents would be in vinyl. I think what most builders forget is that sooner or later (generally) they
will sell the airplane. Not everyone shares the same tastes in color and design. Give the next owner options.

Identical RVs. One with modern scheme, one with military scheme.
Is resale affected?
Depends on what you mean by “affected”. If you are looking for the broadest appeal, then a military scheme is going to limit the market. That said, if you are lucky enough to find the one buyer who has a deep connection to the scheme (and willing to pay for that passion), then you don’t need a broad market.

If one is planning for resale, then avoid personalization.

Military paint scheme's are a turn off for me. If I were looking to buy a plane, the thought of a repaint to to get rid of a military paint job would be enough for me to walk away. I am sure there are others that feel this way, so in effect, your potential purchase base has dwindled. That said, if you like the idea of a military paint job, and you can live with the potential resale customer loss, and its what you want, go for it!

Back