What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint removal from aluminum

aulamborn

I'm New Here
I need to remove some bad primer from several aluminum pieces. I can't find the stuff I used to use at Spruce (Aircraft Remover) and am not sure which of the products they presently sell is safe and effective on aluminum. What should I use?

Thanks,

Andy

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Andy, welcome to VAF:D

The answer to your question may depend on the kind of primer you used, so it will probably help you out to identify the primer.

You could try whatever thinner you use for the primer, and a cloth, let it soak for awhile, then rub.

Or scotchbrite, and the thinner-----but this could dull the finish.

I can't find the stuff I used to use at Spruce (Aircraft Remover)

Andy, do NOT get that stuff near my plane. ( AIRCRAFT REMOVER)
Sounds like some stuff I bought from ACME a few years ago, .....never gonna deal with that coyote guy again! :)

Mike,

The primer is PTI zinc oxide. The cans were beyond their shelf life date and the paint is not sticking properly. Scuffing the surface is ok as these are interior (bulkhead) parts, destined to be painted light grey.

Thanks for your response,

Andy

The primer is PTI zinc oxide. The cans were beyond their shelf life date and the paint is not sticking properly.
The primer is not sticking, or paint on the primer? Either way, it is not necessarily primer-past-expiry that is the problem. How was the Al prepared before applying the zinc oxide? I've taken to cleaning first with Extreme Simple Green and/or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (separately of course), then Alumiprep, then Alodine...then the zinc oxide if desired.

The primer is not sticking, or paint on the primer? Either way, it is not necessarily primer-past-expiry that is the problem. How was the Al prepared before applying the zinc oxide? I've taken to cleaning first with Extreme Simple Green and/or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (separately of course), then Alumiprep, then Alodine...then the zinc oxide if desired.

The primer scrapes of easily as when I'm clecoing parts together for riveting. I'm using the same prep I've used in the past, e.g., cleaning and metal prep. I've typically not alodined in the past and have had good results.

The parts I primed at the beginning of the project (an embarrassing number of years ago) were prepped the same way and the primer has been really durable but when I got back into the project AS&S was selling a different brand of zinc oxide primer- that's the only difference in my process.

Back