What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint & Props - Budget Q's

Seattle

Just getting started on laying out a budget for an RV-9A project. I have two questions if you have the time and experience.

1. Have any of you used the Ivoprop Magnum series on a 9? Seems like a cheaper alternative to the Sensenich.

2. How much should be budgeted for out-sourcing a simple paint job?

Thanks in advance.

paint & props on a budget

I'm thinking I'll just go with a Sterba wood prop. I think they run about $650 and, as near as I've been able to learn, they work quiet well although there are some issues (like throttling back in rain).

I'm going to do like Van's "minimum" paint job - aluma-prep, alodine and then enamel paint (white).

I think I can do this paint job myself for maybe $500 - $750. I might even has some car pin striping guy come over and apply some accents to the fuselage.

Will my plane win any awards? Nope. But, it'll look & fly just fine.

Dave

The IVO works well on smooth running alternative engined RV's (at least with the Subaru and Mazda rotary's). It is not recommended with Lycomming engines due to engine vibration issues. FWIW, I plan to use either the 3-blade IVO Magnum air-adjustable or a Catto-fixed on my 9A.

The Catto fixed pitch three blade is a great choice at around $2000, and the two blade is much cheaper. There are some good wood props at less than $1000. For paint, I found a pro car painter to do all the prep and painting for $1750 plus paint, total around $2500. I used vinyl striping and saved probably another $1000 while still getting a nice looking plane.

Bob Kelly

Pics and Prices

I'm in the same boat. Maybe people could post how much they spent on paint with a pic of their plane?

I take it the Catto doesn't have the rpm / rain conserns? Do Catto owners have to re-tighten the bolts the way I've heard some wood prop owners have to do?

I like the KIS approach to paint. Using an automotive person sounds like a good compromise. This may be a stupid question but does the paint then have to be baked on or does it just air dry?

Thanks again.

II like the KIS approach to paint. Using an automotive person sounds like a good compromise. This may be a stupid question but does the paint then have to be baked on or does it just air dry?

The paint I used ( Sherwin Williams Genesis) has specifications for both air dry & heat. Works either way. This paint is for high end fleet vehicles and supposeably has properties of their aircraft paints for a bit less, money wise. It stands up well to a long list of fuels and solvents.

Paint was about $1200.00 for two main colors, and a couple of quarts for trims colors. I paid more, but had a gallon left over. Actually used a little more than two gallons, but one was a deep yellow which is very expensive. This includes a few "initial" mistakes, where I had to clean & re-coat.

Figure another $150 for tape, solvents, etc. Spray guns were in the $100.00 bracket from Lowes & Home Depot.

L.Adamson

(pic --- cowl isn't finished paint, yet)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1704/dsc05103reducedoh9.jpg

Paint costs

The paint on my RV8 broke down as follows (materials only):

Primer (yikes! I said the word) and urethane filler for the fiberglass

$264.00

White base color Acra-Glo 2 3/4 gallons, catalyst, activator, and reducer

$601.00

Trim colors, yellow and metalic blue Imron

Tape, masking paper, and other materials

For a total of $1719.00

This was 3 years ago, the paint job looks like it came out of the booth yesterday.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Here on VAF there is a section called "Articles". Scroll thru "Voices of Experience" & you'll see Bob Brashear. He recommends "Paint it yourself w/a HVLP gun and Jones-Blair Acrylithane ($33 gal). One gallon will paint a RV-6/7 (most of my RVs cost around $100 to paint)".

I don't know anyone who has used this stuff & got no replies when I asked on this list a couple years ago, but it sure sounds like a cheaper deal than conventional paint sources. Brashear is probably only quoting for the paint and maybe reducer and I suspect his total costs were somewhat higher, but $33/gal sure beats $100+ for starters.

I just finished painting last week. I hired an experienced auto painter to shoot the paint and another guy to help prep the plane (he painted several fabric planes). My helpers recommended DuPont Nason from local auto supply store. It costs me about $2000 for material and labor (not including my time). Here is the result:
n103lfb.JPG

The N number is black vinyl cut in a local shop. Considering that everything was done outdoor (a few feet from where the picture was taken), the outcome is very good. I am planning to add a light blue pinstripe over the royal blue curve and perhaps a tail art.

Here is my painting log including itemized material cost.
http://tc1234c.googlepages.com/painting

Back