What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Maintenance

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I waxed the airplane last weekend and was surprised at how rough the paint feels on most of the airplane. Much rougher than when I finished the airplane 8 years ago. The only slick paint now is the leading edges, which get cleaned/rubbed/washed 20 times a year or more when I clean bugs off the leading edges.

So the question... What's the easiest way to make my paint slick again? A buffer, some compound and a lot of elbow grease? How about clay, which I understand is something auto detailers use?

Kyle,
We often buff a car when it arrives at the lot, thus the paint starts out slick. If it sits on the front line long enough it starts feeling like sandpaper; grit and garbage from passing traffic glues itself to the finish no matter how much you wash. Detail clay used with the matching lubricant is the cure.

Paint 8 years old may be slightly oxidized or have suffered some chemical attack. Rub a little spot hard with a damp finger. If you see a faint color or gloss change you may need to cut a little to strip the oxidized layer. An orbital buffer with a 3M hook-n-loop foam waffle pad and their latest 3000 grit compound would be pretty safe.

Don't try a 1900 RPM rotary buffer without serious practice on junk fenders. I've been using one to cut new paint, but I've also been working around good detail guys and body shops for 30 years.

Last edited:
Clay is step one

Just this weekend I 'detailed' my wife's 2001 Jeep Wrangler. It hadn't been waxed in years. It took me about 7 hours for the exterior. After washing, I used a clay bar for the first time. What a Difference. I then followed with a pre-wax cleaner and then a good paste wax. My wife says the car looks like new now.

Everything you ever wanted to know about 'detailing' can be found at http://www.autopia.org.

Google "Zaino". This stuff is unbelievable. They have clay bars, which I would recommend. I "Zainoed" my 10 year-old Dodge pickup truck and it looks brand new.

Cheapo Clay

Let's admit it, I am cheap. The clay treatment works wonders on a paint finish, but the stuff is pricey! Here are some thoughts......

The clay bar is not really clay at all, it is a very sticky synthetic rubber. This same stuff is used by kids to hold posters on the the wall. It is called FUN-TAK and can be picked up for a buck in the office aisle at Wally World.

I also found a substitute for the lubricant, too: ONR -buy in concentrate and mix yourself.

Not sure I would use this on an antique Jag, but it works great on the Miata and the plane.

I want to believe you, cause I like to save a buck as much as you. Need a little more convincing though. Whats the basis for you stating that detailing clay and 'fun-tak' are the same product?

thanks

erich

Hi Erich

Nothing more than physical comparison. Like I said, this is not for the Porsche, but works great on the Civic and Protege. Try it yourself, the admission price is pretty cheap.

How much Fun-Tak...

Let's admit it, I am cheap. The clay treatment works wonders on a paint finish, but the stuff is pricey! Here are some thoughts......

The clay bar is not really clay at all, it is a very sticky synthetic rubber. This same stuff is used by kids to hold posters on the the wall. It is called FUN-TAK and can be picked up for a buck in the office aisle at Wally World.

I also found a substitute for the lubricant, too: ONR -buy in concentrate and mix yourself.

Not sure I would use this on an antique Jag, but it works great on the Miata and the plane.

...is needed for a car? Does the stuff "wear out"...:)

How much Fun-Tak......is needed for a car? Does the stuff "wear out"...:)

All this talk of clay prompted me to make a run to the local Auto Zone and pick up a Clay Magic kit. It has a bottle of lube (seems to be the same as liquid detailer) and a 100g bar of clay (about the size of a 1/2 used bar of soap) that looks exactly like Fun-Tak. Apparently this bar should be good for 2-3 cars if I don't drop it on the ground. It wears out when it gets too contaminated to do the job.

Think I'll try the Fun-Tak next time.

I visited the local AutoZone today and purchased a clay detailing kit under the "Mother's" brand name. Two bars of clay, a bottle of slippery stuff, and a microfiber towel for $12.99 after tax.

Went by the airport after work and used the combination on one of the wing tanks and the top cowl. It resulted in a very noticable improvement in the smoothness of the paint. As time allows (maybe this weekend) I'll do the entire top of the airplane. I figure it'll take a couple of hours...

Back