What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint idea

acam37

Well Known Member
We are having a hard time deciding on either a military theme or "regular" or more modern style, so my plane partner and I may have come up with a compromise. I've seen similar designs where it appears the paint is peeling off and revealing an underlying paint scheme, but I can't seem to find anything on how it's done. I guess I don't know how to do a search on the proper name for this affect. This is a rough idea on what we are trying to accomplish.
5789876C-C059-45B1-B8CF-F0972309B0E9_zpsmfnytq3v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of our Airpark residents was co-owner of this Legend, now sold.

The effect was created with clever airbrushing - it looked neat flying by -

8152023191_7670b59390_z.jpg

One minor tip

I would try and paint your wheel pants one color. The reason is they will crack at some time and need to be repaired and repainted.

So this method is called "ripped" paint effect? That picture I posted is just a basic idea of what we would like to do and I'm sure it will take a bunch of fine tuning and a lot of changes to a final paint design, if we actually decide to go this route. I would like to find a video or something to see how the shading and technique is actually done with the air brush.

I would try and paint your wheel pants one color. The reason is they will crack at some time and need to be repaired and repainted.

Absolutely! At least the bottom half of the pant - make it a solid color that can be matched by a spray can if you want to do easy and quick repairs. I am on my fourth or fifth repair of a pant on the Val.

So this method is called "ripped" paint effect? That picture I posted is just a basic idea of what we would like to do and I'm sure it will take a bunch of fine tuning and a lot of changes to a final paint design, if we actually decide to go this route. I would like to find a video or something to see how the shading and technique is actually done with the air brush.

Having had an entire airplane airbrushed, I can tell you that watching a real pro work is an amazing experience. "Shark", the guy who did our RV-3, had been doing it since he was in elementary school - I don't think its something you'll pick up quickly. Today, I'd also look in to vinyl graphics as an option.

I like the ripped approach - done right, it can make a stunning artistic statement on an aircraft!

Speaking of Ripped!

Roger Claypool at Reno several years ago. A guy from South America ripped off the paint job and copied it, albeit poorly, on a plane I saw at Osh a few years back.

Back