What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint delay

RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
As I read and learn about the process of RV building, I've come across someone mentioning holding off on painting for a while, maybe something like making sure they did not have any smoking rivets. Is there a consensus as far as what to do for paint timing? If delay, how long and why?

Thank you.

No right or wrong here. Some paint as they go during the build without issue. Others, including me, waited until they are flying. In my case it was almost 2 years after first flight. I waited for 2 reasons: 1. I wanted to make sure I was out of Phase 1 just in case I had to do something major that might screw up the paint, and probably more significantly, 2. I was on wait list for my paint shop of choice. I've never heard of anyone waiting just in case they have smoking rivets -- those can take years to materialize so I wouldn't hold off just for that.

Last edited:
There are several schools of thought on this, and it just depends on how you feel about it. Smoking rivets could be a concern, but if you're building properly and having someone look over your work before you get too far, this concern can largely be negated. Most of the smoking rivets I've seen looking over aircraft at fly-ins are on the empennage. That's where you're beginning the learning process and are often most likely to make mistakes.

The bigger reason to wait may be changes you have to make after you start flying, such as cutting the aft end of a wingtip to shift it up or down, or maybe adding trim to the rudder. Depending on the model, there potentially could be other modifications you need to make that are only discovered after the aircraft has flown. Again, carefully following the plans and striving to keep everything properly aligned during construction will help to ensure that the plane flies straight & level with the ball centered. Even then, some of the recommended corrective actions can be done with the plane painted (e.g. squeezing trailing edge of ailerons).

As far as painting early, it's easier to paint the aircraft in pieces--assuming you're doing the painting yourself. The wings can be put in jigs or rotisseries to make painting easier, and the same goes for other components. Since there's no oil from the engine, everything is clean from the very start. If you're taking it to a paint shop prior to flying, the aircraft obviously has to be transportable. Depending on the complexity of the paint scheme, it could be difficult to maintain alignment of stripes, paint colors, etc. with a disassembled aircraft. Of course, if it's a solid color, that's a moot point.

Personally, like Todd, I waited. Painting was not my gift and I was ready to start flying after a long build.

I’ve done it both ways. This last build however will be painted using my wallet - I’m burned out on painting. As such I’ll do all the glass work along with priming, fly off Phase 1 then turn it over to a paint shop.

Carl

I prefer to 'complete' the project before flying, which includes paint.
But with completing three builds, maybe Im not in such a hurry to get it in the air.

I'm going to wait until about 100-hrs on airframe. I have been alodining and epoxy priming sub-assemblies before riveting, But I bang my work up too much so would be touching up paint constantly. Going to paint her myself (the painting vendors at OSH are wonderful, I just cannot afford the cost/time) So I will practice on my old 3500 Duramax LBZ (Thanks to Dan H for the forum info about DIY)

I decided to a paint my airplane at home while the parts are not assembled. It's easier to paint them when the parts are small. If I had assembled the airplane at the airport, the only option for paint was a professional paint shop since painting was not allowed per the hangar lease agreement. This would have added $15K to $20K to the cost, which I didn't have at the time and still don't have at the moment. Smoking rivets or build errors will show up soon enough as I found out during my phase 1 testing, painted or not.

No right answer to this. I hate overspray and it’s a lot easier to mask and spray the intersections when it’s in pieces. It was so much fun putting it together when it was all painted. I didn’t scratch anything in the process.

Some builders have cautioned that if you wait you might delay it because you don’t want to stop flying long enough to paint it.

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Back