What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Cost Estimate

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am painting my RV14A myself. I'm using Sherwin Williams AcryGlo for the most part. White on the bottom and silver metallic on top. The silver requires a clear coat. A charcoal metallic stripe and gold pearl stripe will separate the white from the silver.

To date, I have painted everything except the fuse and wings.

Total expenses, to date are about $3200. I figure another $2000, at least to complete it.

It takes a lot more paint than you might think. I made a few mistakes along the way which required some repainting at an estimated cost of $300. So, about $5gs would do the job if your good. Also, pearls and metallics are spendy. I figure $1g in addition.

Just an FYI if you are planning to DIY this part of your build.

Oh, yeah. I already had the guns, compressor, lights and a place to do this. If you don't, good guns will cost you $650/. One for primers and one for base/clear coats. You need LOTS of air, so the compressor is another $2500, min.

I am color sanding and buffing everything, also. Figure $1g for the equipment and materials.

All in, about $10,000. The time involved is big, but it's fun and really satisfying when things go well, and I'm still learning new tricks after 35 years painting cars and motorcycles and making lots of mistakes.

The time involved is big, but it's fun and really satisfying when things go well, and I'm still learning new tricks after 35 years painting cars and motorcycles and making lots of mistakes.[/QUOTE

And very unfun when things don’t go as planned!

The time involved is big, but it's fun and really satisfying when things go well, and I'm still learning new tricks after 35 years painting cars and motorcycles and making lots of mistakes.[/QUOTE

And very unfun when things don’t go as planned!

So much more satisfying when they do, tho. Hey, what doesn’t kill you……. right?

Really good info. My how things have changed. Mine was painted by a professional 20 years ago. Alodine and acid etch, epoxy prime, three color job. All in for $7500.
I suspect it’s hard to get a paint job done for under $15 or $20k anymore.

Good luck on your paint job. I’m sure it will be great.

Really good info. My how things have changed. Mine was painted by a professional 20 years ago. Alodine and acid etch, epoxy prime, three color job. All in for $7500.
I suspect it’s hard to get a paint job done for under $15 or $20k anymore.

Good luck on your paint job. I’m sure it will be great.

20 years ago a gallon of white was $50. A pro would get 30gs for an RV today would be my guess.

Back