What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Control Sticks

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Anybody have pictures of interiors with painted control sticks? I just painted my interior (mostly a charcoal). I really like the color. I’m thinking painting the somewhat tall, white sticks of the RV9 may make them a little less of a big standout, but I can’t find pics of painted sticks. Would I need to strip the powder coat, or just scuff and prime (assuming I need primer?)? By the time I put grips and boots on, maybe it’s a non issue though and there really won’t be that much white showing.

You could use heat shrink over the white. I had mine powder coated black along with all of the stock white components, but heat shrink would have been my second choice.

Have painted four control sticks right over the powder coat. Clean, scuff, clean again, prime, etc. Has held up fine for years. Hung the sticks with wires from the shop ceiling and attached another wire at the other end so I could hold it still and spin it while painting. Did the same with the rudder pedal bars with equally good results.

Agree with all of the above - don’t overthink it! Scuff, paint….it’ll last for years. Twenty now on my -8……

Agree with all of the above - don’t overthink it! Scuff, paint….it’ll last for years. Twenty now on my -8……
But Paul, if I stop overthinking simple things like this, what will I do with all of my new found free time??? :p I mean, besides already having a flying airplane vs one this is still a couple of years away...

But Paul, if I stop overthinking simple things like this, what will I do with all of my new found free time??? :p I mean, besides already having a flying airplane vs one this is still a couple of years away...
Can’t tell you…I’m busy overthinking where to but the latch on a stowage box in our Rocket interior…..🤣

Back