What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paid Users

Plummit

Well Known Member
So there used to be a list of the paid users who donated to VAF. I couldn't find it in the new system. Where is it now?

-Marc

So there used to be a list of the paid users who donated to VAF. I couldn't find it in the new system. Where is it now?

-Marc
It’s gone, see Doug’s article in the news section for details.

Instead, going forward you can donate by upgrading your account.

Upgrading your account gets you a badge and some of the tiers include additional perks outlined on the upgrade page here - https://vansairforce.net/account/upgrades

What if you donated a one level before the system change but you would like to upgrade to a higher level, for example: from Friend to Sponsor.
Is this possible or does everyone start at zero for Upgrade purposes?

What if you donated a one level before the system change but you would like to upgrade to a higher level, for example: from Friend to Sponsor.
Is this possible or does everyone start at zero for Upgrade purposes?

Hi Rick. Everything 'starts at zero' donation wise on the system for upgrade purposes. If anyone would like to donate and remain annon, there are instructions under 'Links/Donate' up top in the menu. But, only the folks using 'Account Upgrades' will show that they donated (badge under name). I prefer the Account Upgrade feature to optimize my accounting effort. I had to trim down to the basics (the forums), and adjust the business model a bit to stay in business.

And thank you for donating!!!!! v/r,dr

Last edited:

Upgrading your account gets you a badge and some of the tiers include additional perks outlined on the upgrade page here - https://vansairforce.net/account/upgrades
I quit using PayPal also. Doug needs to make it easier for members to donate by accepting credit cards. Even paying the credit card fee I am sure the added number of donations would more than make up for it. I also donate every year, yet never found my name or user name on the donators list. Maybe I am missing something but clicking on the above link, I don't find additional perks besides the badging? By the way,,,what is a check?

It sucks that I just donated prior to the upgrade...I guess I will look like a loser for year! Of course, I should just pay again...given all the work this site just went through!

It sucks that I just donated prior to the upgrade...I guess I will look like a loser for year! Of course, I should just pay again...given all the work this site just went through!
You aren’t the only one, I donated last week, oh well that’s life.

I quit using PayPal also. Doug needs to make it easier for members to donate by accepting credit cards. Even paying the credit card fee I am sure the added number of donations would more than make up for it. I also donate every year, yet never found my name or user name on the donators list. Maybe I am missing something but clicking on the above link, I don't find additional perks besides the badging? By the way,,,what is a check?
Ditto on credit cards.

I also donated right after the new year as I typically do. If I had known this was coming I would have waited.

I don't suppose we need to see all who donated but I'd still like to know how many donations year to year. Does that exist somewhere?

I tend to be the forgetful type, so I'm glad to have an automated donation system now. I hope it gives Doug at least a little more predictability from year to year! Appreciate the site and effort Doug! Not sure how I'd be doing on my build without it.

You quit, as in boycott? or just don't have a PayPal account any more?

You can checkout as a guest with PayPal and use your credit card just like any other payment processing program.

Edit: I can help you figure it out if you are having trouble. Just shoot me a PM

You quit, as in boycott? or just don't have a PayPal account any more?

You can checkout as a guest with PayPal and use your credit card just like any other payment processing program.

Edit: I can help you figure it out if you are having trouble. Just shoot me a PM
Thanks for the offer to help. I will just go ahead and use the guest checkout using my CC. I at least have some protection and recourse. I just hate paypal due to a couple transactions that soured me to using them.

Here is a snip from Apr 26, 2021. The list is by first name.

donate list.JPG

I’m another that doesn’t use PayPal. All my payments are handled through my bank. This includes personal payments using Zelle. I wish Doug would add that pay option. I don’t believe there’s a fee involved?

I donated on Jan 4th but looks like I’m also a “loser” for a while with no badge. Was unsure of navigating around the new website at first but kinda getting used to it. Seems to work faster as well. Tried the dark mode and really like it. Can’t wait for the Off Topic picture to come back on the front page. Some of those were quite hilarious. Nice job to all who worked on the transition- this is good stuff.

Well I for one want an address to send money to cause I won't use Paypal or Venmo, But, I got money if Doug would send me an address to send it to. I have looked all over the new format "that I do not like" to find it to no avail.
My luck varies Fixit

Admittedly, it is a little obscure but there is a link to everything you need.
Step one: click on Forum List
IMG_1092.jpeg

Step Two:
Click on: How to Donate HERE
IMG_1093.jpeg

Well I for one want an address to send money to cause I won't use Paypal or Venmo, But, I got money if Doug would send me an address to send it to. I have looked all over the new format "that I do not like" to find it to no avail.
My luck varies Fixit

You can also just use PayPal’s guest checkout feature with just a credit card, you don’t have to have an account with them.

PayPal does 25 billion transactions every year, they are one of the most trusted payment platforms.

Good grief!!

Even though I am exempt from having to donate for several of the criteria, I DOUBLED my donation last December and might just do it again! I am totally NOT concerned that my name is not on a list anywhere, that I did not get a badge and, definitely do not consider myself a 'loser' (although some people might disagree with that.....:ROFLMAO:) because I am honored to be able to access the VOLUME of information, insight, builder hints, comradery this forum presents. WINNER all the way around! I'm on THAT list: the WINNER list!

No, you would not believe the time🕰️ and $$MONEY$$ it takes to keep this boat afloat. Doug could have been far into building an RV-15 with the time and effort he put in to giving us this AMAZING upgrade we are now using. The more I buzz around this site, the more AMAZED I am at what he accomplished! And there are many other things related to this site he has to deal with.....

You might not be aware that, like any other public forum, it is a small minority of people who use/cruise this forum that donate and keep it afloat. I guess one has to assess the VALUE you get by supporting this type of communication/community. When I started SuzieQ there was very little to go on. Local builders were few; the Vans newsletters were a godsend. The Rocky Mountain RVators and their newsletter were very helpful. My painful calls to the Mother Ship were very helpful (to me, not necessarily to them!😊) . Screwing something up and having to rebuild it was very informative....(why do I have 2 old aileron skins under my bench.....?🤔🤷‍♂️) Maybe being a builder in the days WAY before pre-punch (which used to mean thinking about the punch you are about to throw at this jerk who called you a sucker, by the way! :ROFLMAO:) makes me more appreciative of the treasure trove of information available here.

SO: DONATE! Tell your friends! Tell your hangar mates! Tell the C172 drivers! Tell your mother-in-law! Badge? Who cares? List of names? I KNOW I'm on it! I don't care if anyone else knows!

OK: stepping down from my soapbox.....which is another old phrase some might now know the origin of......😊

Reactions: SPX
Being new to Experimental Aviation in general and Van's Aircraft in specific, I've been readily willing to annually donate $25 to this site over the last few years. If I was a builder, I can see that it could represent a great value. As it is, I still see it as a worthwhile expenditure. I'm not interested in elite tiers of membership, lists, or badges, however, and not sure I understand the angst surrounding the subject that I see here and in the other (closed) thread.

Question on the account upgrades. Are they 12 months or do they revert at the end of the year. Asking as I have been making my annual donation in November every year And plan to do again this Nov.

Back