What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page Numbers in Titles

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Something I like to do before beginning a new section is to search the forum for relevent posts by others who may have noticed a problem or have a suggestion to make life easier. It occurs to me that if we always put the page number somewhere in the title it would make searching a snap! Thoughts?

Outstanding suggestion, John! I do the same thing. Adopting such a convention would make the searches dead simple.

I SAY, LET'S MAKE IT A "MAN RULE"...er..."12-BUILDER RULE"!

Dave

Good idea, John. I'll include the page # the next time I post a suggestion. On another tack, I noticed VANS included some of my recent comments in their latest revisions- those guys are really sharp and on top of things! This kit has been a pleasure to build, working with those folks. Steve

Reminder about page numbers

I'm adding to my original post to bring it to the forefront again. Page numbers in the title line really help!

It is a good idea but this search engine does not like to search for numbers so it does not help much, wish it worked better or at all.

Best regards,
Vern

Searching on numbers

Hi Vern,

The searches work fine if you put in a complete page number - for example, if I search on "14-02" (no quotes) it brings me back 4 or 5 posts right away. I think it only has a problem with numbers by themselves, for instance just a "14". So if everyone put the full page number in each title, the searches do work. I have used them many times so far to my advantage, since a lot of the guys have adopted the convention.

Hi John,

Thank you, I will give it a try.

I have been trying to get any information by section number before I start that section which is the part that does not work. Page by page is a lot more work.

Best regards,
Vern

Wild card character in search function

Vern,

You have made me think! I just experimented with the search function. Found that an asterisk * acts as a wildcard, just like it does in other search engines. So - if you search on "14-**" you will get all posts with a 14- and any page number following. Try this one: search on "page 14-**" (include the quotes) you will get a list of posts where anybody referred to any page in section 14. It seems to me that this search engine uses most common features found in other engines. Try it!

John

Hi John,

Thanks, I will give that a try. I am sure you are correct that this engine is not much different from others, it is just that it is very frustrating when we ask for a simple search and it requires a work around to do it.

Best regards,
Vern

Refreshing this thread about page numbers and searches

Good Morning All,

For the newer guys - a couple of years ago the early builders found that including page numbers in the titles of posts made it much easier for folks to respond. Then we found that the search engine on this forum is actually very powerful, if you use the right techniques.

Please read this thread completely, as it developed as it went along.

BTW, "Vern" has since gone west. RIP Vern.

John

Back