What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 6-4 rivet question.

Hink

I'm currently riveting the rear spar assembly for the vertical assembly. The plans call for the same rivets for the hinge brackets as the ones on either side of them, 426AD4-7 for the bottom and 470AD4-5 for the middle. The problem is the added thickness of the bracket causes the shop end to be thinner after squeezing. Is this ok?

Scott

It's okay to use a slightly longer rivet in those holes.

Good catch for being early in the project. You'll run into rivets that are too short quite a bit. Just keep an eye out for them and make the adjustments as required.

Phil

Why?

I have read that many rivets called for in the various models plans are either too long or short. Wonder why?

Partly because material thickness may fall between two rivet lengths. It seems that Van's Aircraft is often biased toward the shorter rivet. But variations in manufacturing technique, material thicknesses, etc. can mean that a rivet called out in the plans is actually too short (or, rarely, long) for the actual installation. Perfect technique would be to measure and trim each rivet - yeah, right, thousands of times. In practice, you quickly learn to judge when a rivet is showing enough or too much tail using the Mark I Eyeball.

In the particular spot you were asking about, I found that the called for rivets were just slightly short but acceptable on the brackets and just a bit long but not too hard to drive without tipping them in the other locations so I went with the called out rivets.

Back