What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 46-08 Step 1

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
And.......Confusion sets in. I think we know where they are talking about, but not sure how to actually get the RTV on there..neatly..anyone have any advise or photos of the process?

al0qkg.jpg

2ilihvo.jpg

Sealing Firesleeve

Hi Kyle,
Marty is right on re the EAA Firesleeve video. The idea is to seal the exposed ends of the firesleeve to protect the insulation from direct heat. In the video the presenter shows dipping into a can of sealant. That can of sealant is very expensive and 50 times more than you would ever need on your project. So Van's specifies sealing the ends of the firesleeve with RTV:

i-WsN5rcX-L.jpg

Tony

I noticed that the fitting does get disassembled a few steps later. I suppose now is a good time as any to do that. Thanks for the help. Should be hanging the motor soon.

Just smush it on, work it into the end as best you can, wipe up the excess, clean your finger, and build on!:)

Funny stuff..... the piece(s) the plans were talking about were not already installed on the engine. It was a firesleeved hose with the fitting installed -----sitting on the shelf w/ the rest of the other hoses. Whew.... I was going crazy there for minute. It is all RTV'd up and awaiting installation.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Back