What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 45-08

Hal-san

Well Known Member
Patron
Turned the power on today and nothing smoked, however, trim will not work, and with the avionics swith on, the green lights in the switches blinks just as if they had a turn signal blinker attached to them. All I get in the headset is a loud tone. :confused: Any suggestions? Thanks

What version?

Turned the power on today and nothing smoked, however, trim will not work, and with the avionics swith on, the green lights in the switches blinks just as if they had a turn signal blinker attached to them. All I get in the headset is a loud tone. :confused: Any suggestions? Thanks

Hal,
If you just turned it on today, I wonder what version your D180 is at? I think I would run the support software first and see if it finds the D180 and update it to the latest Version 5.4. Follow the instructions for the upgrade exactly, it can be a bit confusing. You will need to get the locked settings file from Van's website, because the upgrade procedure will ask for it. Then you may need to do the switch light work around like John says.

My trim would not run until I adjusted the trim pot. The pot has to be turned counter-clockwise to speed up the trim, which is opposite of what common sense would have you do. You will have to be turned on your head to get to the pot and adjust it. I had to take out the switch panel screws and lift the switch panel slightly then use an inspection mirror to see the pot screw and get a little screwdriver on it. Best to do this with the battery disconnected so you don't short anything out. You can check the trim motor back at the tail with a 9 volt battery to see if the motor runs OK.

The tone in the headset sounds like an alarm, the D180 will start alarming low oil pressure, low EGT, etc. after it has been on for a few minutes. If alarms are showing on the screen, you can silence them with the button on the left, or just acknowledge them with the button on the right. You would also get a tone if the stall warning switch is making contact.

I can come down and give you a hand if you need me.

Tony

Last edited:
Switch illumination

Whenever there is an alarm condition present, the lights blink (depending on Dynon setup). The switch illumination power comes from the Dynon. The tone that you hear is also an alarm. Is the stall warning switch wired correctly?
Joe

Hal,
If you just turned it on today, I wonder what version your D180 is at? I think I would run the support software first and see if it finds the D180 and update it to the latest Version 5.4. Follow the instructions for the upgrade exactly, it can be a bit confusing. You will need to get the locked settings file from Van's website, because the upgrade procedure will ask for it. Then you may need to do the switch light work around like John says.

My trim would not run until I adjusted the trim pot. The pot has to be turned counter-clockwise to speed up the trim, which is opposite of what common sense would have you do. You will have to be turned on your head to get to the pot and adjust it. I had to take out the switch panel screws and lift the switch panel slightly then use an inspection mirror to see the pot screw and get a little screwdriver on it. Best to do this with the battery disconnected so you don't short anything out. You can check the trim motor back at the tail with a 9 volt battery to see if the motor runs OK.

The tone in the headset sounds like an alarm, the D180 will start alarming low oil pressure, low EGT, etc. after it has been on for a few minutes. If alarms are showing on the screen, you can silence them with the button on the left, or just acknowledge them with the button on the right. You would also get a tone if the stall warning switch is making contact.

I can come down and give you a hand if you need me.

Tony

Come on down, I need all the help I can get.

Whenever there is an alarm condition present, the lights blink (depending on Dynon setup). The switch illumination power comes from the Dynon. The tone that you hear is also an alarm. Is the stall warning switch wired correctly?
Joe

I am pretty sure it is wired correctly. I tried actuating the stall switch but it made no change in the tone. I will pull the wing out a couple of inches tomorrow and see if that stops the tone. Thanks for the input.

Back