What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 35-03 Gear leg install

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Installed the gear legs today. A word to the wise - don't try to install the legs the way the instructions say, because you cannot get the correct angle to slide the leg in due to interference from the skin. Install the inner bracket (leave it loose), then insert the gear leg and the large bolt, then install the outer bracket. Another complication is that one or two rivets will interfere with placing the outer bracket. I drilled them out to get them out of the way, and re-installed them later.

Gear leg installation

I used hardware store 1/4 x 3" bolts in the outer bracket to temporarily hold everything together while inserting the landing gear. After the leg was in position, I replaced the 1/4 inch bolts one at a time with the specified AN bolts.
Joe

U-1202

I CALLED VAN'S-TOLD ME TO BEVELED THE CORNERS ON THE U-1202 BLOCKS ABOUT 1/16TH. WORKED FINE.

GARY

One other tip Van's gave me. Before you torque the nuts, make sure the bolts are fully seated. Their suggestion was to use something to protect the bolt head, then sharply hit it with a hammer to make sure it it firmly seated.

Don't let the heavy "C" shaped backet fall off while you are under the plane and hit you in the forehead. :cool:

Back