What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 34-12 measurement?

Dgamble

Well Known Member
The drawing shows (and common sense seems to dictate) that the two holes to be drilled should be on the center line of the block. However, a measurement of 3/8" from one of the edges is provided. To center a line on a 1/2" wide block, it seems that 1/4" would be a more appropriate measurement.

Did everyone just use 1/4", or does the 3/8" measurement actually work?

It was just two weeks ago that I stood at the workbench for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do with that 3/8" dimension. Finally decided that it was indeed a mistake and used 1/4". This locates the holes on the center of the block, as they should be.

Chucked up a 1/8" radius router bit to radius the edges and it worked out great. I clamped the router in the vise with the shaft horizontal and then ran the Guide Blocks around the bit, being very careful to keep my fingers out away from the bit.

You'll probably find that these blocks will need quite a bit of shaving to get the canopy to slip down in place, as described in Step 6 on 34-12.

If you do a search of the forum for this page number, you will find it has been a commonly found mistake. I worried over it for a while too before I decided to come in and search the forum.

Canopy guide

Hi Dave, I called vans on this one, drill it in the middle and then you will probably have to file the outside or canopy side a little bit as one of the canopy bolts catches on it. Don

If you do a search of the forum for this page number, you will find it has been a commonly found mistake. I worried over it for a while too before I decided to come in and search the forum.
I searched on 'canopy block'. So near, yet so far.

WOW I too just did this block today and wondered about why it would be this way, the plans that is. I just drilled it 1/4 or the center of the block. :)

Back