What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 32-02 Question

Nautique

What type of thread sealer should I use to connect the Nylon T to the Brake Reservoir VA107. I have loctite 567 but the instructions say I should not use it on plastic pipe. I am not sure if that includes nylon or not

Thanks

Craig,

I'm pretty sure I didn't use anything on the threads for the brake system connectors. No leaks.

John

Thanks John, but the Vans instruction sheet specifically call out to use a thread sealer on this connection but they do not specify a type.

Craig, some builders have had trouble in this area. I used the Loctite and no leaks. I used it at all the threaded fittings.

Thanks John, but the Vans instruction sheet specifically call out to use a thread sealer on this connection but they do not specify a type.

Craig, sorry about the mis-information. I was thinking of the wrong connection. Yes the instructions do call for thread sealant at that joint. If you look back at Page 27-04 Step 4 this stuff is referred to as "pipe thread sealant". I went to the hardware store and found that this is sold in small tubes. There are two types, one for water/steam type application, and the other type is for chemical applications. I used the second type, since brake fluid is more of a chemical. I used this stuff on all the joints where thread sealant was called for. Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the input. Looks like everyone is using a standard thread seal type product. I have some Rectorseal 5 that I think I will try. It says it works on Aluminum and plastic, works with hydraulic fluid, and holds 19K PSI.

Thanks again for the input

Thread sealants

I've been struggling with a sealant issue on the 45 degree fitting that goes in the Matco wheel brake housing. I have been exchanging emails with George from Matco who advised me again to use loctite 567 as instructed so I used a new fitting and am trying to seal this one for the fourth time. None of the other fittings have leaked.:confused:

On the nylon fitting, into the resevoir, I used a pipe sealant with teflon which I commonly use on my stuff around the house. No leaks.

I also consulted with a friend who has been in the refrigerant business forever, and has delt with many, many, fittings. He said the sealant isn't really a "sealant" but something to lubricate the threads so tightening can occur without the mating surfaces galling, and allows the installation to get tighter than without the help of the sealant. It does help with sealing but it really allows the fitting to get tight. Thing of this way....

My two cents worth. So far the new fitting on the brake housing looks okay, but it did on the 3rd try, for about 2 weeks, so time will tell. Be safe!

Back