What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 29-05 Step 6 problem

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
A check of the archives and other logs indicates I am the only one with a question here. The plans say to put the instrument cover on a table edge and bend it downward. Unlike Vans normal instructions, no exact 5.68 degrees or any guide, somewhere from 1 to 90 degrees I guess, somewhere from the edge back to the screws I suppose. On top of that the diagram shows an irregular bend pattern as well, nobody has a table shaped like that!
The only way you can see if it is correct or not is to screw it on and put some of the panel fronts on, a gazillion screws to put in and take out! By just holding it up there, it don't even look like it needs a bend. Why not use the edge breaker like on all other similar matches? Words of Wisdom from someone who has it done would be appreciated.

29-05

Don,
I just looked at my instrument panel cover and laid a straight edge on it. There is hardly any forward/aft curve in mine and it fits OK. You do not need a curved table. Do it in two steps, first on one side of the rectangular cutout, and then on the other side. It think that it is better to not bend it at all rather than put a crease in it. Since the plans do not specify how much, just do it a little so that you can say that you did it. The cover gets bent left and right. It is very difficult to bend a compound curve in sheet metal. Do the best that you can and do not worry about it. You will be taking that cover on and off several times. If you do not like the looks or fit, you can always try bending it a little more later.
I wrote myself a note for step 7: "Temporarily" fasten the cover.
And for step 8, dimple both top and aft flanges.
Joe

Thanks, that seems to agree with my thoughts on it too. I am guessing that that edge actually should align with the engine cover edge anyway. I still wonder if my edge breaking tool would not do as well as a table.

Back