What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 23-06 Step 2

tim walter

Well Known Member
Page 23-06 Step 2
is one of the last steps of attaching the fuselage side skins.

The bit I am having trouble with is the alignment of the roll bar attach plates and the longeron.

Step 2 states : "... Align the outboard edge of the F-1205B Roll Bar Attach Plates with the vertex of the longeron. ... "

now I think that means that the edge of the roll bar attach plate should be flush with the vertical flange of the longeron.
which it is in my case, BUT the F-1234 canopy decks were fitted so that they overhang the longeron and cover the top edge of the side skin.

should the F-1205B roll bar attach plates also cover the top edge of the side skin in the same way?
If so, I don't see how to get that to happen, since the longeron is held firmly in place by the F-1204C fwd bulkhead
and the F-1205B roll bar attach plates are riveted to the same F-1204C.

I'd need to either file the F-1204C bulkhead or notch the longeron, unless there's something else I am missing?

should the F-1205B roll bar attach plates also cover the top edge of the side skin in the same way?
No, build it according to plans. The back window is attached to the roll bar and the baggage area side skin goes on top of that. Do not change the spacing.
Joe Gores

confirmed with Vans

I confirmed with Vans that I am doing it right.
The roll bar attach plates are not supposed to overlap the side skins

Back