What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 23-06 Step 1 Gussets

gblwy

Well Known Member
This step is to rivet gussets to the step bulkhead side channel. There are a couple of holes on the top flange that look as if they should be riveted to the longeron. I cannot see any instruction at this stage to match drill into the longeron. A couple of steps later the side panels are riveted on, at which point I guess it will be too late to match-drill.

Am I missing something?

Cheers...Keith

http://www.mykitlog.com/grmps

Keith,

I remember that it took me a while to figure out how that little gusset was supposed to go in. I'm pretty sure though that it doesn't get fastened to the longeron. I will check tomorrow when I go to the shop. Double check the perspective in the drawing.

John

Careful!

Hey guys,
Look way ahead at page 29-04. You will be match drilling these holes with the instrument base panel in place in Step 8.

Tony

Tony,

I just looked at that step, but I don't see what that has to do with the gusset.

John

PS, how's your black resin doing?

John, When you put the rivets in down thru the longerons you make sure they capture the gusset before pulling them.

The black resin is working out well, I think I am really going to like the look from the inside of the cockpit. I have the layups done, have the canopy back off the plane and am doing the sanding.

Tony

Gusset orientation

I hardly gave a thought to the orientation, seemed obvious, and it is the same as yours. Thanks to Tony's post I can now see there's more longeron drilling at Page 29-04 Step 8. But I guess the drilling is down from the longerons towards the gusset.

Last time I "blind" drilled from the rollover attach plates through the longerons I hit something underneath that was pre-drilled - and hit it in the wrong place!

I'll take additional care this time, thanks...Keith

Back