What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 2201 fuse RV-12

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Van thru me a curve with the firewall sealant mc-cs-1900. Not supplied with kit. What have y'all used if other and if the mc- cs- 1900 tube is activated do you lose all of it or does it have a partial use feature?
thanks. Dick Seiders

Van thru me a curve with the firewall sealant mc-cs-1900. Not supplied with kit. What have y'all used if other and if the mc- cs- 1900 tube is activated do you lose all of it or does it have a partial use feature?
thanks. Dick Seiders

First thing to do is make sure you are using the latest revision level of this section. The firewall sealant is only needed for a final sealing of the firewall perimeter after it is riveted into the fwd. fuselage.

thanks. Dick Seiders

Late last week, I performed that step. Used the fuel tank sealant that Van's now sells. It is kind of messy, see my blog. I bought the quart kit, as you can mix as much as you need (10:1 ratio by weight/kitchen gram scale), and hope I have enough for the remainder of the fuselage and fuel tank in the finishing kit. A revision to the drawing now specifies fuel tank sealant. There are a bunch of revisions to the RV-12 plans located here.

You can buy the tubes of the fuel tank sealant also, I don't know for sure but believe they are single use.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/notices2.htm

Last edited:
First thing to do is make sure you are using the latest revision level of this section. The firewall sealant is only needed for a final sealing of the firewall perimeter after it is riveted into the fwd. fuselage.

Thanks Scott for the reply. I am looking at the 11-08-08 rev. and it still calls for placing sealant between the firewwall and attached components. Am I missing something here?
dick

Thanks for the info Marty. I am following your blog, as well as slanes. They are very convienient as I am about 2 weeks behing you folks. I missed the section on your sealing. Think I will call Van's about the ms cs etc sealant.
dick

Thanks Scott for the reply. I am looking at the 11-08-08 rev. and it still calls for placing sealant between the firewwall and attached components. Am I missing something here?
dick

No, but it calls for tank sealant at those locations, not firewall sealant.
At these locations, an actual opening is not being sealed, only the minute space between two mating parts. The firewall sealant is too thick. The tank sealant is a better choice since it can be spread thin, will seal between the parts for oil and gases, and you can mix small amounts as needed.
The firewall sealant is specified (don't remember the page) to be used to seal the entire perimeter of the firewall (where their are openings) with a small fillet on the aft side after most of the forward fuselage is assembled.

sec 22

Scott, thanks. I checked with Van's and the tank sealant is the thing to use here as you said. They sell it in as little as 1oz. containers so not much waste. The firewall sealant is currently not available as it will have to be drop shipped from maker, and that is still in process.
Dick

Back