What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 22-03 "fuel tank sealant"

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I remember seeing threads on this before, but don't remember the resolution. I also didn't realize I would need fuel tank sealant for the fuselage kit - I thought the fuel tank came much later. As a result, I guess I can't join these two parts together without a little of the proper "stuff". To those who have gone before - what did you use and how did you get it?

John, you can get a quart of fuel tank sealant from Van's and mix a small quantity. You will use the remainder on your tank. That's what tech support told me to do.

Rick.

Did the same John. Bought a quart and mixed what was required with a gram scale. (10:1 by weight). Buy it thru Van's. Gonna have to buy some more for the engine kit and the flange repair for the fuel tank cause I mixed too much each time I needed some.

And...p.29-03, 29-04, 29-05

John,
Read ahead...you will need small quantities of fuel tank sealant at several different times on the fuselage.
29-03 the upper surface of the bottom flg of the Firewall Upper.
and also on 29-03 seal the entire firewall perimeter and 2 tooling holes with Firewall Sealant (not tank sealant) per plans.
29-04 seal the base of the Canopy Ribs with tank sealant
29-05 cover the head of ea rivet on the Firewall with fuel tank sealant.
I am not good a mixing small quantities of stuff using a gram scale. I ordered several of the little 1 oz. fuel tank sealant touch up kits from Van's and they work great and are very convienient if a tad expensive.
I just finished the firewall perimeter, canopy ribs, and most of the rivet heads, and I have used 3 of the little 1 oz. kits plus 1 3 oz. kit of firewall sealant. I need to order 1 more of the 1 oz. kits to finish the firewall rivet heads and it looks like later in the finish and engine kits I will need some more.
pic of 29-04 - the sealing of the Canopy Ribs:
632922920_9AvgV-M.jpg

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered a 1 Oz. tube from Van's yesterday, but after reading your info am wondering if I should call them Monday before they ship it and get the quart instead. The thing is, it might be 6 months before I get to the fuel tank and I guess this stuff has a shelf life. It also bothers me that they don't quote the shipping cost when you put in your order. Is the shipping very expensive because of the type of material it is? That would also argue for getting a larger quantity while I am at it.

Did the same John. Bought a quart and mixed what was required with a gram scale. (10:1 by weight). Buy it thru Van's. Gonna have to buy some more for the engine kit and the flange repair for the fuel tank cause I mixed too much each time I needed some.

OK, I'll bite. What the heck is a "gram scale." My grammy had a scale but she was pretty heavy so I doubt it will work:rolleyes:

Does Van's sell these too, or do I have to go elsewhere? Is this an excuse to buy yet another new tool?

OK, I'll bite. What the heck is a "gram scale." My grammy had a scale but she was pretty heavy so I doubt it will work:rolleyes:

Does Van's sell these too, or do I have to go elsewhere? Is this an excuse to buy yet another new tool?

If "Grammy" had a mail order business, her scale may work. A gram scale is a small package postal scale that reads in grams. You can find them at most office stores. The gram scale works well because the Proseal is mixed at a 10:1 ratio.

For example, place your mixing cup on the scale and hit the "tare" button to zero the readout. Add 30 grams of sealant to the cup and them 3 grams of hardener (33 grams total)

John,

You can find them at any large store, usually in the cooking section. Cooks and dieters use them. Don't tell, but, I use the one the wife has/had in the kitchen.

Dated Product

And don't worry about the dates. Put the stuff in the frig and it'll keep forever. If you ever have a question about it, just try a small amount and see if it still works.

John
Grammy shops at Walmart. They have three or four models of gram scales. The one I purchased has a glass table on top to put a container of mix onto. Makes it easy to clean. It will allow you to subtract the weight of the container, so you have an accurate weight of the mix. BTW I used 11gr of mix for the top flange of the Firewall Bottom.
Regarding shelf life, mine was manufactured in January and has a shelf life until October.
Van's lost my first order. After two weeks I called and they had no record of my order. Someone got a qt. can of goop that they didn't need or want. Finally got my order two weeks later by Fedex Ground.
A quart is recommended if you are doing the fuel tank soon. I'm expecting the Finishing Kit any day now, so the tank will be one of my priorities

Art Pennanen

More info on sealants, applicator question.

Just spoke with Tom at Van's Tech Support. He says they are now recommending the fuel tank sealant for any place in the plans that calls for fuel tank sealant OR firewall sealant. He also confirms that shelf life will be extended by keeping it in the refrigerator. So - I am going to call Van's Web Store when they open at 8 AM Pacific time and change my order from an ounce of the stuff to a quart. And - I'm adding a "gram scale" to my WalMart list.

Has anyone had any experience using the Tank Sealant Dispenser from Van's, or is the popcicle stick method good enough?

John, thanks for posting Tom's advise...I am just at the page/step where it says to use firewall sealant and I have no idea where I could have got some, but I have a qt of tank sealant so your inquiry solved my problem! Thanks for sharing the information.

JohnF
RV6A N1CX
N29CX Reserved

Back