What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 22-02 Error?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I seem to be finding more and more "errors of omission" as I progress. On this page there is no mention of countersinking the nutplate attach holes on the F1288 part, however it fits up against a firewall that is already dimpled by the factory! Did you guys just go ahead and assume the error and dimple the F1288 nutplate attach holes?

Don - do a search on 22-02. There has been some confusion there before and there are several posts that may help you. John

I did a search, but only found that someone else had the same problem, no solution.
Some of these are really no-brainers, but then again sometimes when I get to a no-brainer, it is not as it appears to be. That 22-02 area seems full of poorly written instructions.
Thanks guys!

No Error (IMHO)

I do not believe there is an error: there are 5 rivets in addition to the nutplate rivets that secure the F1288 on the firewall. Only one of these rivets is a CS4, the 4 others which are located between the nutplates are LP 4-3 which are not flush. I surmise that the only area where flush is important is at the top of the firewall where the CS4 is located. If you want everything flush you need to replace the LP 4-3 with CS4s. Good luck to countersink the firewall which is stainless steel! :eek:

I was not clear on the problem. Problem is that the SS firewall IS dimpled at the rivet attach holes. To attempt to rivet the aluminum piece to the firewall, results in the 1288 being held away from the firewall because of these dimples, with no countersink in the 1288. It is either flatten the firewall back flat, or dimple the 1288 to match.

Don, you should really take a look at this post here. Joe composed a list of things to be careful about and other hints for the fuselage kit. I actually took this list and added his notes to my instructions manual so I wouldn't overlook anything. Your problem is mentioned there as well, or better the solution to it. I followed Joe's advise in this addendum and I had much less trouble and a pretty smooth ride so far.
He also has one on the wings, but you already finished those.

Here's the link to his post: Fuselage addendum and hints part 1
And here's part 2

Joe, if you read this, any chance to get an addendum for the Finish Kit?

Well Dave, there goes our ELSA status, changed forever to EAB. Happens to all of us that cannot seem to follow plans! :D

Back