What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 21-6 optional nutplates

tim walter

Well Known Member
On page 21-6 there's a note in the plans to add "optional nutplates" around the hole in the bottom skin.

What are those nutplates for?
Has anyone (everyone?) installed them?

I believe they are for the comm antenna. I didn't install them, but will soon wish that I had.

Yes, this is for the comm antenna and is supposed to make the installation much easier as you won't need a second person to support the nuts on the inside of the belly while you are screwing in the screws from below.
Here's a description of how I did it back when I wasn't waiting for Skyview: http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2011/02/section-21-and-22-completed.html
I found the pop-rivet dimple tool at Avery and I can look up the number if you need me to.

Option is no longer an option?

The latest rev of page 21-6 (dated Sept 2011, I think) omits the reference to the optional nutplates. Does anybody know why this change may have been made? I'm at the point where it would be convenient to install them. Has the antenna changed with newer kits? Or is there any other reason anyone can think of as to why Van's went to the trouble to issue a new drawing that eliminates the reference to this option?

I'm tempted to install them now. If I follow the directions on an earlier rev of a drawing, which are not on the latest rev, would I be breaking the rules by deviating from the manufacturer's design?

The latest rev of page 21-6 (dated Sept 2011, I think) omits the reference to the optional nutplates. Does anybody know why this change may have been made? I'm at the point where it would be convenient to install them. Has the antenna changed with newer kits? Or is there any other reason anyone can think of as to why Van's went to the trouble to issue a new drawing that eliminates the reference to this option?

I'm tempted to install them now. If I follow the directions on an earlier rev of a drawing, which are not on the latest rev, would I be breaking the rules by deviating from the manufacturer's design?

I don't see that revision on Vans website...

I believe you should be referring to Page 21-16 instead of 21-06. It was revised on 12/21/09 to include the option for nutplates for the com antenna installation, although the revision remained at Rev 0. I don't see any subsequent revisions since then on Van's website.

I installed my com antenna a few days ago alone without nutplates. It really wasn't that hard. BUT . . . All that holds the com antenna to the bottom skin are four tiny 8-32 hex nuts with split lock washers under them. No flat washers. It seems to me that the addition of nutplates or flat washers would provide a sturdier support by disributing the load a little. I'm also a little dismayed that those split lock washers are cutting into the thin aluminum bottom skin.

This antenna comes with an aluminum backing plate that should fit on the backside of the mounting surface to distribute the load. But the plans from Van's are rather specific on how the hardware is arranged sans backing plate. By the way, the backing plate would prevent the use of nutplates.

Back